Chapter 30

Lanze hummed for a moment. "The ability to extract salt is unique to mermen. I can separate oxygen from seawater for females to live in, and I can also separate the salt. There's no point in telling you guys. You won't be able to do it." Lanze explained.

"Really? Mermen are really cool then." I smiled.

"That's no biggie." Lanze smiled as he arrogantly flipped his hair back. "Salt does form in the cracks between rock sometimes, right? Like what Curtis is using." Lanze pointed to the salt bowl that had the salt from the ocean when Curtis picked it up. "That salt obviously wasn't made by mermen. It looks dirty, and it's not very clean."

Does that mean that Lanze and I picked up some of the pure salt made by mermen? I mused to myself. "Lanze, how much can you make?"

"Why?" He asked.

"Would you be able to extract salt for them?" I gestured to the tribe.

"Really? We'll pay you handsomely." William smiled.

"Impossible!" Lanze shouted and shook his head. "The process is very painful, exhausting and slow. Every merman only needs to turn in one fist sized chunk of salt per year."

"Never mind then" I held out my hand. I wouldn't want to put my mate through that.

"I'll be assembling a team tomorrow to trade for salt, then." William sighed.

A precious ability like this can only be used on Kagome, and no one else. Lanze's thoughts flooded into my head. My eyes widened for a moment before I pinched the bridge of my nose, when I saw Lanze smiling and chuckling like a deranged fool. I just shook my head, then continued to eat with my family.

*****

The next morning, after I fed the children their breast milk, I went with Winston, Sesshomaru and Shuu to see the tribe members left with the smoked meat. We watched them go, a sudden feeling of dread washed over me.

"I'm going to patrol the village. It's still not completely safe, so don't leave the perimeter." Winston looked to me. I nodded in understanding. He kissed me as well as Sesshomaru did before they went on their way to patrol.

Soon I hear Becky and Ford come from not far away, she still seemed spooked of everything. I carefully walked over, summoning my tail and ears and smiled at her.

"Becky, Ford, a lot of wildflowers are blooming in the village. Want to go take a look?" I asked them. "Don't worry. No one will hurt you. Not on my watch." I vowed.

"Okay." Becky said, her first word. I happily smiled as I held out my tail. She happily held onto it just as Molly jumped from behind and shouted, making Becky pull on my tail.

I mentally screamed in pain before shielding Becky from a rambunctious Molly. I could see Ford's face of remembrance. So he had his tail pulled at least once.

"Don't be scared, that's Molly. She used to play with you all the time." Ford cooed to Becky.

"Be quiet you fool, you'll scare her." I scolded Molly.

"I know, I'm sorry. I wanted to go and see the Starsky flowers again and see if you wanted to go with me." Molly looked guilty.

"Becky, did you want to go to the Starsky meadow?" I looked over my shoulder at her. She held onto Ford tightly but she moved her lips again.

"Yes." She said. Ford and I smiled brightly when she spoke again.

"Let's go, then." I smiled, tickling her nose with my tail. She caught it and happily hugged onto it. I chuckled as Ford was one side of her and I on the other. Molly was on the other side of me.