22. Come Away

POV: Kelly

The lunch with Sam's family went well and Oliver was a sweetheart the whole afternoon. Sam's mom was emotional the entire afternoon, it was a beautiful day.

Sam dropped us off at the hotel with a dosed off Oliver.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow. Goodnight." He lightly kissed Oliver and then me on the forehead making my heart flutter.

"Goodnight." I said as he left.

I went to bed with a smile wondering what that kiss meant. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but at the same time we said that we still loved each other. Honestly it was said in the midst of fighting when we first talked at the coffee shop, but I think it counts for something. It's also too early to be making assumptions about us, maybe it was just a reflex. 

Speaking of the coffee shop, Cynthia has been a sweetheart bringing all my favourite pastries that Sheila has been helping herself to. I can't blame her, they're really good.
Cynthia was a little upset about not being godmother but she quickly got over it after I let her babysit him when I needed a nap. I guess baby Oliver's cuteness melted her heart and got his mom some forgiveness.

Our month stay was coming to an end with only a week left. Sam has not said anything about it yet, maybe he doesn't want it to end or doesn't know how to ask the uncomfortable questions of how this will all work. I also don't know for sure but we will find a suitable arrangement.

As promised, Sam showed up at the hotel the next day. This time with flowers and cheesecake making me smile. He came after work and we had dinner and he played with Oliver before his bedtime.

He plopped on the bed next to me and we watched a movie. It felt like old times, it brought back good memories.

"We need to talk about what happens after we leave at the end of the week." I said and I saw his body tense before he sat up.

"Do you really have to go back?" He asked.

"Yes." I nod. "Our lives are back there. A move would require more planning." I add.

"Where have you been staying?"

"New York." I said and he nodded.

I assured him that I wouldn't keep Oliver away from him. He's his father after all. He said he didn't want to be a part-time father. I can understand that. He's become really fond of him and Oliver feels the same. He can't stop smiling when he sees his daddy.

"So why don't you move to New York with us?" I asked him.

"What?" He said in surprise and I realized that my proposition caught him off-guard.

"Just think about it."

"Kelly my whole life is here. My job is here. I can't just up and leave."

"But I must?" I threw the question back at him and he sighed. "Look, I'm not saying move right now. I'm saying think about it. You can join the FBI in New York." I explained and immediately I knew I said the wrong thing from the way he sat up and looked at me.

We got into a heated argument about how that would affect all the progress he has made at work. Mostly about how that would be a step back unless a similar or higher position became available.

Our arguing soon turned into a make out session. Our kissing was hot, filled with tension, desire and an outpouring of emotions that have been held in for a year. God, I had missed him...missed us.

We reluctantly break the kiss to catch our breath. We sat with our foreheads touching as our heavy breathing slowed. What just happened? Neither one of us makes a move until a cry comes through the baby monitor cutting through the tension that was now thick between us.