The Game That Changed Everything - Newtmas

We're playing a game with all of the Gladers.

"Okay... Thomas: Truth or Dare?" Chuck asks me.

"Hmm.. Dare," I say, laughing a bit. Chuck is our youngest Glader; he wouldn't make me do anything stupid or embarrassing, would he?

"Okay, umm..." The boy starts grinning. "Kiss Newt."

What?!

"W-what?" I say, and look at Newt, who's sitting next to me.

He nods. "It's okay, Tommy. Just bloody do this," he says with a little smile.

"Umm... Okay then," I finally say.

I move my head closer to his, but we both burst out laughing. "We couldn't even get close!" I laugh.

"Let's.. Try again," Newt says. "Unless you want that disgusting drink that Gally makes us..?"

I laugh again. I wouldn't really volunteer to kiss Newt - or any of the Gladers - but it's better than that drink.

So we try again. This time, Newt starts moving his face closer to mine, and he closes his eyes. But when our lips almost touch, I somehow start feeling nervous, and I can't help but laugh again.

"Ah, come on," I hear Minho say. "One last chance, or you'll have to drink, shuck-face."

I look at Newt again.

"Okay?" he asks.

I nod.

"Let's do this, Tommy."

So we try again, but this time, we make it more dramatic, like a kissing scene in a movie. I look at Newt, smile, then look at his lips. I notice him doing the same, notice our heads coming closer.

He closes his eyes.

Probably so he won't have to see that he's actually kissing me.

"Newt, are you really okay with-"

He doesn't answer; he just presses his lips to mine.

That's when all the butterflies in my stomach start flying.

The next few seconds are, somehow, magical, and I forget about everything around us.

About the Glade. The Maze. The girl in coma. WICKED.

I even forget about the other Gladers, who are probably laughing and yelling and making fun of us right now.

It's just me and Newt.

I've never felt something like this before - even though I have no memories of my life before the Glade and the Maze.

What the shuck is this feeling?

And why am I feeling this, when kissing one of my best friends?

Then I feel Newt removing his lips from mine, and when I open my eyes, I stare into his.

He doesn't say anything - neither do I.

But I have this feeling I want to kiss him again.

Then I hear the other Gladers yell at us, laughing.

"H-how.. How long have we been kissing?" I ask in a soft voice.

Minho looks at his watch. "About three shuckin' minutes," he says.

Wow.

"A simple, short kiss on the lips would've been enough," Chuck laughs.

I feel my cheeks getting warm and look at Newt, but he turns away, blushing.