I'll Protect You - Newt

I'm in the Glade. The Runners just got back from their day in the Maze, and the Doors are about to close.

Right?

"Minho, what's the time?" I ask when he walks up to us. "The Doors.."

"They should've been closed," he immediately answers.

I look at him, scared. "Now what?"

"I don't know. Go out there and ask some friendly Grievers what to do."

I look around and see Newt, which makes me feel relieved. Newt, my best friend, is here. I'm safe. Well, as safe as I can be, in the Glade with the Doors open at night.

A few minutes later, I hear a scream from the other side of the Glade. I can hear something like 'Griever'.

I immediately run to Newt, who hugs me. "It'll be okay, Y/N. I'll protect you. Nothing bad will happen to you. You'll be fine."

I hear his voice crack a little, which sounds really cute.

Wait, cute? We're being attacked by Grievers and I think about Newt's voice crack being cute?

Newt takes me to a safe place - as safe as possible. No one is safe from a Griever without those Doors.

"It's alright," he says. "We're safe here for now, okay?" He looks into my eyes, and I can't help but smile a bit.

"I like you, Newt," I whisper, without even noticing it.

Newt looks surprised. "Huh?"

"Huh?"

"Did you.. Say you.. Like me?"

This is awkward. "I.. I guess I did.."

My friend smiles. "Now I'm gonna be even more protective over you."

I smile. "Newtie.."

For some reason, I want to kiss him. But I can't. It's way too dangerous outside right now. And I'm too scared. But Newt doesn't seem to care much, and presses his lips to mine for a few seconds.

It makes me get a weird feeling in my stomach - like thousands of butterflies are flying around. It feels weird, but good.

"Sorry, we need to stay focused. Couldn't help that, though," he apologizes, the last part smiling shyly.

Then I realize something. Something I really have to tell him, especially now he has already kissed me.

"Newt."

"Yeah?"

"If we don't survive this.. Please know that I love you."

"I love you too, Y/N.. I always have. With all my heart."