Past the Gone - Newt

It's been two week since Rat Man - I still call him that - read the list and announced that Newt, who has become one of my best friends in those couple of days, is not immune to the Flare. His name was first on the list.

Now, two weeks later, he's already changed a lot. One moment he's nice and treats us like his friends, the next moment he says he hates us.

I know this is not the real Newt. The real Newt is nice, sweet, caring.. Our Glue - not WICKED's kind of 'Glue'.

"(Y/N)?" I turn around and see Newt standing there, with a little smile on his face.

"Hi, Newt," I say, returning a smile. "How are you doing?"

"I've been better," he answers. "But compared to this moment, I've felt worse, too. Even back in the Maze."

The Maze. Newt told me his story a few days ago. About the walls - him climbing halfway the wall and jumping off, because he didn't want to live like that anymore. He hated the Maze so much that he'd rather end his life than staying alive in the Glade, and a Maze full of Grievers.

And his limp, reminding him, and everyone who knows about his story, to his attempt to kill himself.

Thinking about that, tears start burning in my eyes, and a few seconds later they're already running down my face.

"(Y/N),"Newt says. "Don't you bloody cry about me! I don't get why I once called you a friend-'

Newt the Crank is back.

He continues, "You are nothing to me, stupid Munie! I can't stand you - I've always hated you. The sight of you makes me sick."

He doesn't mean it, I tell myself. I try to believe it.

"You are one terrible friend - you all are! You, Minho, Thomas.. You're all ugly shuck-faces! Your friend is slowly going insane and you're just watching! Are you enjoying the bloody show? I hate you! I hate you all!"

I can't take it anymore. "Newt.. I.. I'm sorry," I say, and run away.

I find Thomas a couple of feet away from me. "Newt going crazy again?" he asks when he sees the tears streaming all over my face.

I just nod. "Yeah.."

"He doesn't mean it, (Y/N).'

"I know."

"It's hard, I know," he says and hugs me.

"He.. He called you Thomas.."I cry. We all know what that means. Newt has always called Thomas "Tommy". And now he'd called him "Thomas".

I look at my friend to see a hurt expression in his eyes. "Things are getting worse.." he says in a quiet voice.

"Yeah.. Is he.. Do you think he is.. is.."

"Past the Gone?"

"Uhu?"

"I don't know," Thomas admits. "But if he isn't yet, he will be soon.

It's the truth. And it hurts. So bad.

"When do you think WICKED will have a cure?" I ask.

"I don't know, (Y/N).. I don't know.. Hopefully soon.. But.. I'm not sure.."

"-If Newt will last that long," I finish what my friend was going to say. He nods.

"Hey," I hear a voice from behind me. It's Minho. "Newt.. He's.. Back to himself again. For as much as possible."

I look around and see Newt standing a few feet away from us. "Newt," I whisper, more to myself than really talking to anyone.

I look at Thomas, then turn back around to run in Newt's direction.

"(Y/N), I'm so sorry. I didn't mean anything of what I just said. I'm sorry. You're a great friend. You all are. You can't help this - this is not your fault. You are the best friends I could ever wish for. Even though I go insane every now and then, you guys still always have my back. I am truly sorry about what I said a few minutes ago. But listen, I'll be past the bloody Gone soon - if I'm not already. It'd be better if you don't see me like this."

Thomas and Minho had joined us in the last seconds of Newt's short speech. "So let's just say our bloody goodbyes, and then you can promise to remember me from my good old days-"

"Newt, no!" Minho says. "We're not leaving you! Don't be so cranky."

"In case you didn't notice.. I'm a Crank, Minho. I am a Crank. Why can't you get that through your bloody head?!"

"We're still not leaving you. You are our friend," I say, crying again.

"(Y/N).. It's for the best.. Don't cry about me, please." He wipes the tears from my face. It doesn't help, though - they keep coming out of my eyes. "Don't waste your beautiful face on crying about your full-gone friend. Please, (Y/N). Please.."

Then he turns around and walks away, leaving me and my friend speechless.