by your side

Three was an extremely strange atmosphere inside the lounge.

After laying chopper down on the couch, luffy slid down the door, still holding imo to Nami, so that she re aimed in his arms the entire time. Both of them shook, although neither could distinguish between their own shudders and the others.

Meanwhile, outside, genzo had appeared. He had been watching game of thrones, so he couldn't really tell if the screaming was just in his head. Still here seemed to be an awful amount of commotion outside, especially for this time of morning. Sighing, he paused his movie and got dressed before wandering out the door.

Worry hit him suddenly as he saw the ambulances parked outside bell mères house. She was nowhere to be seen, but here were so many people surrounding the are he couldn't tell for sure. He squeezed his way past the crowds and froze, feeling sickness pooling in his stomach.

Paramedics were carefully dealing with three bodies, one of which was surrounded by an unhealthy amount of what genzo presumed to be his own blood. A he watched, the medical lifted his arm and revealed a severed hand. Genzo paled even more as he watched them apply a tournike. That boy would loose his hand for sure. What happened here?

The other two seemed to be waking up. They seemed pretty much allright, but it was evident that one of them had broked a few ribs.

This one was a tall man with a long nose and long black hair. Suddenly, genzo recognized the man as arlong, part of the notorious gang that had been harassing Nami for a few week now.

He had been told that the new boy who bought Nami home that one time had scared them off, but they must have come back for revenge...
Again, Genzo wondered what happened.

The two ambulances departed, silent of full blast, and the crowds slowly began to disperse. Genzo knew from years of experience on the front lines that the police came next.

Worried and slightly curious, genzo retreats back into his own yard and jumps the fence, knowing he wouldn't be let through the front.

Nami and luffy could hear the ambulances come and go, and now they heard the sirens in the distance.

'Do you think we'll get in trouble for this?' Nami asked. Luffy shrugged.

'I doubt it. You and chopper did absolutely nothing, but I did mess crocodile up quite a bit. I broke 4 ribs and his nose, plus the wrist last time we encountered him. The whole hand thing was a complete accident. They can't accuse me of stabbing him since it was an attack that was meant for me. Either I took that a d died or I dodged. It was just unfortunate that his hand was there.'

'But do you think we'll have to go through questioning and everything?'

Luffy seemed to tense up at the thought. Before he could answer, there was a nock on the door. Not the door they were leaning on, but the door to the yard that connected to the kitchen.

Refusing to put Nami down, luffy stood and readjusted her in his arms. She didn't complain at all. He opened the door and came face to face with the old pin wheel dude he had met he first time he came here.

It happened to be right then that the adrenalin luffy had been running on wore out completely. Not wanting to e danger Nami he handed her to the slightly confused man in the doorway before stumbling Into the lounge and collapsing on the floor. He curled into a ball and remembered choppers order not to sleep until he had completey digested his food.

Genzo came up behind him, setting Nami on the ground. Her knees, still weak, buckled slightly as she ran over to luffy.

'You alright lu?' She asked, checking him for injury. Then it occurred to her that he had been In quite an awefuk state and almost unable to stand before he took down one of the towns most notorious gang leaders in a one on one fight in the middle of the garden.

He nodded and she sighed, brushing a strand of hair out of his face before sitting beside him and crossing her legs. She knew genzo was here for an explanation.

'Before you sit down, could you go wake my mother up? She is no doubt asleep with melatonin and ear buds in.' Nami asked. Genzo nodded and disappeared upstairs. Luffy crawled over so his head lay in her lap, curled back up. She absently mibdedly played with his hair as she waited for her confused mother and genzo to make their appearance.

When they did , bell mère looked horrified. Genzo must have filled her on in some details then. Good.

They both pulled up a seat, too concerned about the matter at hand to notice her daughters loving tenancies towards the boy whose head was resting on her lap.

Once they were both seated, Nami told them everything that happened in as much derail as she could. This way she prepared herself mentally for having to do it with the police and also made sure their guys could explain it for her wherever they could.

After a moment of silence, both adults seemed to accepted the reality. Genzo took a deep breath and sighed.

'I'll deal with this.' He announced, standing and heading out the door to deal with the police officers who were just now entering the scene. Bell mère checked to make sure they and chopper were both fine before hurrying out after genzo to help deal with the aftermath.

'I'm so sorry Nami. I just made the situation worse.' Luffy apologized, sounding miserable. Nami hit him gently.

'Don't say that stupid. If you didn't step in me and chopper would be the ones being taken out of here in ambulances.' She said. As the words left her mind she was struck by the truth of them.

'Thank you luffy. You saved my life. Again.' She said, lowering her voice. It saddened her, in a way. She would never be able to pay him back. He made it look so easy, defending her. But she knew for a fact most others would end up like chopper.

Speaking of, chopper was just begining to wake up. Between them, lufy was the only one who hadn't been injured in the fighting, although he had quite possibly ended up the worst off.

Namis side ached from the kicks she had received, and red marks on her arm showed exactly where she had been grabbed.

'Lu, chopper, should we go upstairs and and patch ourselves up? She suggested. Luffy gunted and rolled off her so she could bet up. She offered him her hand and her took it, the toll of standing much more than it should be.

Together, they scooped chopper up and hauled themselves upstairs where they collapsed on the floor of namis room.