⤠ Chapter VI

T H E V I C T O R Y

⊱ T H E  V I C T O R Y ⊰

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

THE TWO MEN FLEW OFF so fast that once Arani glanced back at them, they had already landed next to the dragon on the mountain's rockface. They wasted no time, firing upon it seconds after they landed. The red flashes were a dire warning against the bright blue sky. The dragon did not notice their presence, and Ari felt she could breathe for the first time that day. But the reprieve would not last. The blasts to the dragon's face became such a nuisance that it turned on them, ready to crush them. But the two managed to fly away in time just as the dragon smashed the place they had stood to dust. Mando and Vanth got themselves to lower ground, standing guard for the Tuskens, aiming their rifles at the cloud of rubble but nothing came forth.

The ground rumbled and the krayt dragon re-emerged with an ear-piercing screech just below the cliff Ari and the kid hid at. Mando glanced up at the woman, hoping beyond words that the monster would rear up or turn around. Maker answered his prayers and the dragon charged at the Raiders and villagers, picking them off one by one.

Vanth aimed one of his explosives at the beast, getting its attention as well as causing it more pain. The dragon swung its head and surged toward Vanth and Mando. The bounty hunter slammed his gun against Vanth's jetpack, shooting him upwards and away from the fight. The Mandalorian stood his ground, holding the rope of a bantha who still had explosives strapped to his sides.

Ari now understood what he was about to do and without much thought, she held the child closer to her and ran down the steep slope as fast as she could. There would be no self-sacrificing actions from Mando or anybody while she was around.

But as she got closer, it became harder to get to him. The chaos of everyone trying to run the opposite way caused her to lose a sense of direction, and when armoured arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her from the battle, she knew she lost.

Ari watched in agony as the krayt dragon ate her friend and the bantha. A chill ran up her spine and she collapsed against Vanth, tears streaming down her cheeks and gently splashing onto the child's face. The kid . . . how would he come to terms with the death of the Mandalorian? Ari did not want to think about it. Her knees soon gave out and the two friends fell, neither one knowing what to do.

The ground rumbled and Ari closed her eyes tight, accepting her fate. But an explosion sounded and Vanth tugged her down completely, protecting her from the blast as the krayt dragon slammed to the ground.

Next to her, Vanth laughed like he never had before. It was one that felt desperation, fear, and serenity all at once.

Ari opened her eyes to find the Mandalorian unharmed, standing before them in triumph, and without a second thought, she rushed to him. She didn't care about the grime that covered him or that she rarely showed physical affection, they had almost died and this man saved them. She squashed him into a hug, one arm around his neck and the other holding the kid, Mando was taken aback but seeing the look on her face led him to hold her tightly, too.