⤠ Chapter XXIX

T H E B A S E

⊱T H E  B A S E ⊰

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

ARANI WRAPPED HER ARMS tighter around herself as she watched the grey Imperial vehicle plod through the lush green forest path. She was nervous and angry all at once, and the emotions were growing stronger by the minute. All the hatred and disgust that she managed to keep at bay all these years had surfaced. She never got to see the War end nor did she die like all the other X-wing pilots. But the evil forces in the world had never been defeated, only dormant, and she renewed her vow to destroy them -this was now her fight as much as Din or Cara's.

"I'm not gonna need long inside," said Mayfeld, bringing Ari out of her destructive thoughts. "So once I get the coordinates, you guys gotta get me the hell out of there."

"You get to the roof. I'll drop in and pull you out," said Boba.

Cara shifted her stance. "All right. Mayfeld and I will swap out for the drivers in the tunnel."

"As much as I'd like to take a road trip with Rebel-dropper here, that's not gonna work."

"Oh, yeah? Why's that?" asked Cara.

"Well, because these Remnant bases are set up and run by ex-ISB. If you get scanned and your genetic signature shows up on any New Republic register, you're gonna be detected, and it's guns out."

"You sure do know a lot about Imperial Remnants," Cara stated.

"If you wanna accuse me of something, then just say it."

"We don't have time for this," Din interrupted. "Fennec will go."

"No, I'm wanted by the ISB. I'll trip the alarm, too."

Din looked at Boba. "Fett?"

"Let's just say they might recognize my face."

"Great, so it's me goin' in alone," complained Mayfeld and then looked at Din and Ari. "There's no one else here that wouldn't sound the alarm?"

Ari felt a tug in her heart and she knew what must be done. "I'll go."

"No," snapped Din, too quickly to be anything else but nerves. His ridged and stiff stance became more noticeable and Ari knew that he had been waiting for her to volunteer. "They'll know who you are immediately."

Ari rolled her eyes. "How is it that you constantly keep forgetting: I'm dead."

Din still shook his head. "I haven't forgotten, I never will. But I can risk losing you as well."

With those simple words, her heart ached. She had been so focused on getting Grogu back that she had forgotten that he was Din's kid as well. He must be doing everything in his power to keep her with him.