⤠ Chapter LI

T H E A M B U S H

⊱ T H E  A M B U S H ⊰

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

THE DEFIANT RACED THROUGH THE STARS, turning them into blurry streaks. In the co-pilot seat, Ari sighed and ran a finger across the Mythosaur pendent Din gave to Grogu. She snatched it from the kid when he fell asleep to study it. It was just a rendition of a skull but there was no mistaking the placement of the horns; she had seen it.

"Okay, someone other than me talk," Haro ordered, as he steered the ship. "It's too quiet in here for my liking. Is something going on between you two, you know, other than the sorta-forbidden will they-won't they romance thing?"

Ari pocketed the pendent and glared at her friend. She didn't need to be reminded of what could happen once they reached the covert. "Haro . . ."

"Shut up?"

"Yeah."

An explosion shook the ship, making the four, plus R5, lurched in their seats. Ari took hold of the control panel before her and Haro cursed under his breath. "We took a hit."

"Something's coming up on us fast," the girl noted, looking at the scoping device. "It looks like a squadron of TIE interceptors."

"How close are we to Kalevala?" Din asked.

"Not far," said Haro.

"Get us back there and I'll reinforce from the N-1. Can you evade them?"

"Me? No. But her?" Haro looked at Ari, a crazed grin on his lips. "She can outrun the fastest ship in the galaxy." He relinquished control and Ari took over, grasping the steering column in front of her.

"I know," said Din, leaving the safety of his seat. "It's one of the many reasons I asked her to stay." Ducking out of the cockpit, he left to man the guns, hoping to evade the interceptors.

The TIE interceptors were inching closer and Ari jerked the Defiant starboard and another explosion grazed the vessel. As Din returned the blaster fire, Kalevala came closer into view, giving Ari an inkling of relief.

"Where'd these guys even come from?" Haro questioned as he pressed a few buttons trying to see what damage had been done to his ship.

"I'm guessing Bo-Katan pissed off a few too many warlords."

Coming into the planet's atmosphere, the ship broke through thick grey clouds, the silhouette of Bo-Katan's castle looming over the dark sea and cliffs below.

"We're coming in hot," Ari warned. "I won't be able to slow down for the drop." She continued to weave her way through blaster fire, and Din managed to lock on one of the ships, making it explode. "Din, are you still up for the transfer?" She shouted, trying to be heard over the commotion and down into the hold.