⤠ Chapter X

T H E A R D U O U S J O U R N E Y

⊱ T H E  A R D U O U S  J O U R N E Y ⊰

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

AFTER MANY TEDIOUS HOURS, Mando had finally pressurized the cockpit. The kid had watched him, looking on with mild worry. And through it all, Arani stood behind him, keeping a hand on him. BD was working on the console's wiring. The hum and buzz of his tools contracted to the zapping electricity, and more than once, the droid was flung back, overcharged from touching the wrong wire.

Mando would often signal to the young woman from the widescreen for her to press a switch or two. When that button worked, he'd move on to another section, if not, he'd huff, shake his head and continue on.

It was a lot of work, but secretly, Mando was glad to have the little droid's help, or it'd take longer. He did not want to be out in the cold longer than necessary, even though the beskar kept him warm, much warmer than Ari inside.

At last, all the repairs were finished. Mando rushed back inside, up to the cockpit, sat down in his chair, and tested out the ship as a whole. He took the kid from Ari, knowing she had had a handful with him, and placed him on his lap.

Arani slumped in her seat, tired beyond comprehension. She couldn't remember a time when she last felt like this. A week had gone by since meeting the Mandalorian and she was completely wiped. How would she feel another week from today? A month?

The Crest slowly rose, the vessel quaking under the strain of the twin engines and the large spider carcass. But it got out of the cave alright - after bumping into the walls a few times. They flew out of there as fast as possible, no longer itching to stay.

Mando switched on the nav, leaning back in his seat. "Wake me up if someone shoots at us. Or that door gets sucked off its rails." Ari must have looked completely distraught because Mando glanced back at her, chuckling. "I'm kidding. If that happened, we'd all be dead."

The frog lady and Ari shared a glace and then faced forward, taking in a breath.

Mando crossed his arms, trying to get comfortable. "Sweet dreams."

The frog hugged her children and closed her eyes, falling to sleep as well.

Ari sat straight, eyes glued to the floor. She didn't notice BD circling her lap, finding a good spot to recharge. She didn't notice the kid look back at her. She was in her own world. She was in a ship that could fall apart any minute and Mando straight out told her that nonchalantly. He either completely forgot her past or her PTSD was a joke to him. And in that moment of deafening solitude, it certainly felt that way.

Arani did not sleep well that night. In fact, she could not sleep at all.

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰