⤠ Chapter XXIII

T H E T E S T

⊱ T H E  T E S T ⊰

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

EARLY THE NEXT MORNING, Ahsoka found the couple not having moved from the embers of the fire. Leading them and the child through the lush forest, she stopped at a small hill which sat, littering the place, perfectly square stones, and Ari had a feeling that there had once been a structure in the center where they stood.

Ahsoka turned around and came closer to Grogu. "Let's see what knowledge is inside that little mind," she said gently and gestured to Din to place him on one of the smaller, lower moss covered stones.

Having picked a small rock up from under the dense foliage, Ahsoka held it in her palm and then pushed it forward towards Grogu.

Stepping back to be in line with Din, Ari and the Mandalorian watched in fascination as the child held out his hands, taking the stone out of the air, giggling.

Ahsoka held her hand back out. "Now, return the stone to me, Grogu."

He looked up at her, eyes wide and head tilted.

"He doesn't understand," said Din.

"He does."

Grogu dropped his ears and cooed sadly at the stone.

"It's okay." Ahsoka prompted with the subtle movement of her hand. "The stone, Grogu."

But something was wrong. Grogu let go of the stone and looked away from the three adults. Ari's head tilted slightly, trying to see the kid's face again. She wanted to help, she felt whatever was stirring inside Grogu. Ari knew better than to intercept Grogu's test but one glance at her old friend was enough allowance.

Crouching so she was leave to the little creature, Ari took his hand in hers, green fingers wrapping around her pointer. "It is alright, little one, no one can hurt you here. You must be brave."

Ahsoka looked at her in curiosity and joined her. "I have forgotten that you can sense things most others cannot."

Din shifted glancing back and forth at the two. "Sense what?" Ari heard the slight bite in his question - she was hiding things, again.

"His fear." Standing, Ahsoka went back to her previous spot. "He's hidden his abilities to survive over the years . . . Let's try something else. Come over here."

"He's stubborn," Din said when Grogu did not move.

"Not him. You. I want to see if he'll listen to you."

Din moved to stand with Ahsoka as Ari sat behind Grogu on the stone. "He only listens to her-" he nodded at Ari. "-never me. That would be a first."

"I like firsts. Good or bad, they're always memorable." She handed the stone over to Din.