Bonus Chapter • Don't Test Your Luck

𝑫𝒊𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒖𝒚𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒂 𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒅𝒖𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒈𝒐 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒊𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒈𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂 𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒄𝒊𝒂𝒍 𝒂𝒔 𝒂 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒔𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖? 𝑰 𝒉𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒍𝒚 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒑𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒊𝒅 𝒍𝒐𝒍, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝑰 𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒖𝒑 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑴𝑰𝑨 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒔, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒖𝒚𝒔 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒏𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝒈𝒊𝒇𝒕. 𝑰 𝒅𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒐 𝒎𝒚 𝒍𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒍 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒑𝒖𝒕 𝒖𝒑 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒎𝒆. 𝑰 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒖𝒚𝒔 <3<3

𝑨𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒏𝒚

"You would use lavender in a potion for what purposes?" Michael asks.

He's been quizzing me on the list of potion ingredients Ambrose left for me to study, and this is my final one. My head is about to burst with how many things each of these ingredients can do to a person, whether that's just ingesting them as is or using them in a potion.

"Lavender can be used for..." I close my eyes in concentration. I gasp once I remember. "Love potions, protection from evil, purifying cursed objects, enhancing your psychic vision, and... good dreams." I sort of guess at the end, but Michael smiles and nods.

"Yes!" He closes the textbook and sets it down on the table. "Well, that was the whole list, and we went through it three times, so I think you should be good. When can you--"

Ambrose's book suddenly slams open. Michael backs away from the table in fright while I stare, eyes open wide at the sudden display of magic. The pages slowly turn and then start flipping between pages as if someone is struggling to find a page. Funny. I look over to see it's landed on the page for the good luck potion Ambrose showed me earlier.

"...start making the potion?" Michael finishes.

I grin. "I guess now," I answer him and pick up the book reading through the recipe. "We need rosemary, twice blessed water, thyme, lavender, and..." I grimace at the last ingredient.

"What is it?"

"An actual rabbit's foot." I finish.

Michael gags. "Ew. Gross. Do we have to?"

I shrug. "I don't make the rules. I just follow the instructions. To the potion room!" I march forward, and Michael reluctantly follows behind.

The potion room actually took a while to finish because there were so many ingredients that are in limited supply. You can't get them all in one place. Hence, Ambrose and I had to make multiple trips hunting for specific things and then some of the ingredients I could barely pronounce. Ambrose said those were more exotic ingredients that even he had little experience with, but he was interested in testing them out to see their effects. The room holds labeled bottles on three long, curved shelves in the back, while the middle of the room has a table with a small cauldron and spoon inside.

"Which shelf is lavender on?" Michael asks.

"I'm not sure. Ambrose organized the room, not me." I mumble as I search for the thyme.