07 • I've Been Witchnapped?!

𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬 𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞. 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐤.

___________________

𝑱𝒖𝒏

Despite my best attempt to settle my nerves, I find it hard to contain my excitement. I've made it to Ambrose's apartment, where he plans to show me the project he's been working on. I wouldn't say I hate surprises, but rather nothing surprises me when I know what to expect. With him, I'm always walking in blind and unprepared. It used to unnerve me when we first met, but as the months passed, I've gotten used to figuring out who he is without my powers to aid me.

I enter the small hallway of the apartment complex and take the elevator up to the third floor. I step off the elevator and look at the signage to see apartment 328 is to the right. I head down that way, counting until I reach 328. I take a breath, realizing that this will be my first time seeing Ambrose's apartment and that we're alone. Gael called me before I arrived, gushing over the fact that Anthony said he would be coming to his place. The two quickly get into a relationship, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I'm not worried, though. Where Anthony seems to want to rush, Gael is there to slow him down and remind him that they can take things at their own pace and enjoy the moment. Gael has asked why I haven't exactly posed the question to Ambrose about dating just yet. I told him I don't know if he's ready yet. I don't even know if I am, if I'm being honest. There's still so much I've yet to learn about him. The conversation about why I can't see his future is still pending, and it feels like lately, magic and the supernatural rule our lives. I want to get back to talking about mundane things like before. I'm hoping this is a chance for us to do that.

I raise my hand and knock on the door. A moment goes by, and I don't hear anyone approaching. I frown and knock again, thinking maybe he didn't hear me. I hear footsteps now and smile. The door opens, and instead of seeing Ambrose, I'm greeted by a demon.

I immediately step back in shock, and my hand clenches into a fist as my fight or flight starts to take over. I look at the demon carefully and realize that his face is familiar to me. He still has that brown wavy mane of hair, but since our last meeting, his facial hair has grown into a rugged but short beard. A look of familiarity crosses his face before it settles into a calm expression.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I could ask you the same thing." He says, leaning into the doorframe to block the entrance.

It's silent for a moment before I roll my eyes and cave in. "I'm here to see Ambrose."

"Well yeah, no shit. Why?"

"It's honestly none of your business, Max."

His eyebrows raise. "Ah... so you do remember me," he says with a smirk forming on his face.

"Hard to forget." I sigh. "You left quite the impression."

"I've been told I have that effect on people," he smiles and shrugs, but then his smile dies down. "Ambrose isn't here, so you can leave."

He goes to shut the door, but I quickly shift my foot inside the doorway, stopping him.

"I'm not going anywhere. If anyone should be leaving, it's you. Ambrose isn't fond of demons, especially when they break into his apartment."

"Who says I wasn't invited?"

"Because I didn't see it," I bluff. "So, if I were you, I would start talking."