1.

Fidgeting anxiously at my skirt, I look out the car window at the thick green forest that surrounds my new home

My mother drones on and on in the background about what's expected of me at this school and how I should act once I'm left on my own. I don't listen to her, and focus on the color of the trees instead.

"I've already talked to your headmaster about extracurriculars and advanced classes, and remember that y-"

"You are our legacy, the family bloodline depends on your success. Blah blah blah. I know mom, I've got this. No need to stress."  I interrupt my mother's speech that I've heard a thousand times before. 

I can recite her words by memory by now, as it's been practically burned into my brain since the day I was born.

"And no more of that smart little attitude of yours Violet. I want you on your behavior once you step foot inside that school." She points a vaguely threatening manicured nail at me and I nod boredly, ready to leave already.

"Yes drill sergeant."  I salute mockingly as I hop out of the town car quickly once we arrive at the entrance of the large castle, feeling eager to get this lecture over with.

"I love you my flower!" My mother tells me with a wave of dismissal, ignoring my snarky comment like she always does. She doesn't even get out of the car to give me a farewell hug. What a heartfelt goodbye.

"Love you too!" I parrot back, turning away from the car as I slam the door and take a sigh of relief that my mother's claw on my shoulder has finally released its death grip.

I'm finally free.

"Ah, miss Good. We've been expecting your arrival. Welcome to Nevermore!" A tall woman with sharp red lipstick and a confident smile emerges from the grand entrance, spotting me and my luggage looking a bit out of place.

"Thank you headmaster..."

"Headmaster Weems, pleasure to meet you. I'm excited to welcome you into our school miss Good, I've already taken a look at your transcript and it looks like you'll already fit right in here considering your lineage..." She guides me into the school and I slump my shoulders slightly at her words.

"Lovely." I mutter out at the mention of my family duty. Not even two minutes in and I've already been compared to my families' outstanding achievements.

The Good family has resided at Nevermore for centuries, dating all the way back to the creation of the school. However, my family has a more... unconventional educational plan for it's children.

They don't offer many comprehensive witchcraft classes here, so I was "homeschooled" until I came of age to be allowed to enroll.

Necromancy, spirit communication and divination were considered normal topics to teach to a nine year old in my family, so it was safe to say I had an interesting childhood.