15.

The entire next week I ignored Xavier, having more pressing things to worry about than my stupid love life problems

The impending doom of "parents week" had settled over Nevermore like a storm cloud, with our dorm in particular being more anxious than usual.

Enid was concerned that her parents would be disappointed that she hasn't wolfed out yet, and Wednesday was not looking forward to witnessing her parents reminisce on their legacy at this school.

My own mother had not confirmed whether or not she would be attending the event as well, but I have a bad feeling that she will pop up when I least expect it and surprise me.

Which is why I'm currently going out of my way to meticulously curl my hair and iron out my uniform, needing to look absolutely perfect at a moments notice.

That's the effect she has on me, making me feel like her eyes are on me at all times judging and waiting for me to mess up. I hate it.

After finishing off my makeup and digging out the unused sheer black tights from the bottom of my sock drawer, I slip on the unused black heels that my mom had so graciously provided for me when I first started this semester.

Already cursing her as I try to walk in them, I can tell that today is going to be agony. How she managed to wear these every single day when she was a student here, I will never know.

With my heels clicking on the marble floors, I make my way towards the main courtyard to check out the family week festivities.

After finding a good spot of solitude on the balcony overlooking the courtyard, I watch as families reunite with hugs and smiles.

I frown softly as I observe them all, so happy to see their families and yet here I am praying that my own mom won't show up for this.

Envy settles in my chest as I continue to observe, and my jaw clenches in annoyance as a presence comes next to me to lean against the railing.

"Not sure how much more of this families togetherness I can take." Xavier looks down at the family gathering with a similar look of disdain, and I sigh tiredly as I look over at him.

"I think you skipped the part where I asked..." I snap coldly as I turn around to lean against the railing with my arms crossed, tired of looking at all the family joy with jealousy.

"Ouch,  it just looked like you could relate to the whole parent issues situation." He frowns at by glare and I roll my eyes at his excuse. He does not get to think that I'm over this yet.

"That's personal, and besides I'm still not done being pissed off at you." I tell him raising my chin to look up at him, but the look in his eye makes my heart ache slightly.

"Vi, you know I'm sorry for what happened at the dance. If you'd just listen to me instead of ignoring me I could explain..." he tries to tell me softly, and I sigh in defeat at the face he's giving me.