5.

Standing in the middle of the bustling carnival, Enid, Wednesday and I go over the pigtailed girl's plan to escape Nevermore and run away from home

I think it's a bit of a weak plan, but Wednesday is hell bent on getting out of here, so I've decided to support her jail break even though I'm a little concerned for her.

"Are you sure you can trust that normie?" Enid asks as we stare at the boy who's supposed to drive Wednesday to the train station. He looks harmless enough, it's his sheriff dad that I'm worried about.

"I trust that I can handle myself." Wednesday tells us confidently, and I believe her.

"Well, good luck and safe travels." Enid says softly, trying to give the girl a hug but Wednesday immediately steps away from the offending physical touch.

"Still not a hugger, got it." Enid sighs disappointedly, waving her last goodbye and walking away quickly.  Wednesday watches her go with something I can't decipher in her eyes.

"Don't get yourself murdered. Here..." I hold out my closed fist and she holds out her palm for me to drop a little glass jar in her hand.

"Emergency location charm, in case you need it." I explain as she observes the jar with herbs and crystals enclosed inside.

"I won't need it, but thank you." Wednesday puts the bottle in her pocket and I give her a smile, letting her go off with the boy who's started to walk back to her.

I really hope she doesn't get into too much trouble

Walking by myself through this sad excuse of a festival, I find myself a little sad that there isn't an established witch coven at Nevermore. 

The harvest solstice should be celebrated with a feast and a bonfire with music and dancing, not eating fried foods and getting sick on the tilt-a-whirl.

Observing the other normie and Nevermore students having fun with their friends and enjoying the festivities, I find myself frowning slightly at how out of place I am.

"Why the sad face, little red?"  A familiar voice catches my attention and I turn around to find Xavier coming over to bug me yet again.

I'll admit, I was secretly hoping just a little bit that I'd get to bump into him tonight. But I'd never admit that to anyone.

"This harvest festival sucks. I'd rather be doing my forest rituals than being forced to watch my peers spend all of their money on rigged games and deep fried cotton candy." I pout with an annoyed sigh and he hums in agreement.

"What, winning a five cent stuffed animal doesn't sound enticing to you?" He replies sarcastically, pointing over to the displays of gigantic pandas and teddy bears.

"Mmm I'll pass, thanks." I scrunch up my nose in distaste, chuckling as I look up at him walking alongside me.

We continue to stroll around the grounds, our shoulders brushing up against each-other slightly as we walk.