#3

KHUMBULANI
#3

KHUMBULANI

My mother was around, and she was still adamant about finding out what happened to dad. I don’t think that’s necessary; we should let people rest in peace and not bother them. But knowing my mother, I know that she won’t let this go.
Nakia:Babe your mother is calling you.
Khumbulani:Okay I’m coming.
I went to her.
Khumbulani:You called for me?
Mom:Yes, I want us to talk about this issue. Mphathi has agreed and we are planning to see the man who will help us tomorrow.
Khumbulani:Is this all necessary though?
Mom:Why does it sound like you don’t want justice for your father?
Khumbulani:I do, but I don’t think we have to do this. We are just opening a can of wounds.
I haven’t healed over my dad’s passing, and doing this would be grieving all over again.
Mom:Son I understand that you loved your father, and a part of you blames yourself that you weren’t here in his last days. But it was not intentional, you were studying. We need to do this so that your father can find peace.
Khumbulani:*Sigh*Okay… I will go with you….

Dad was a good man, a good husband and a good father. He did everything for us, his family. He always put us first above everything, our happiness mattered to him. Even when I wanted to study something that has nothing to do with the family business, he supported me and encouraged me to pursue my dreams. So getting a call just a few days before my graduation, that he’s gone made me lose a sense or two. I was so happy that I was graduating, I knew he would be so proud, because I often called him at nights crying, when school was getting too much for me. And he always knew what to say to make me feel better. He always saw the best in us, I was close to him than I was with my mother. Mother is a person who is constantly comparing your life to others. Dad understood us, he knew what being a father meant. I give that to him. Maybe knowing who actually killed him will give me closure and I can finally move on.

There is still the issue of Mphathi being on my neck. He doesn’t want to change his mind; he wants me to  make Kayise pregnant. This wouldn’t be the first time this is happening in our family, it has happened before.
But it was different situations back then and people weren’t educated as they are today.
Mphathi loves Kayise, he’d do anything to be with her . But it’s at the cost of my existence, if I don’t do what he wants, he will expose my secrets and I can’t have that. I want to forget that night, I told him because I needed help and considered him as my brother, I didn’t know that he would use it against me.
But then again, if I do it, it will help him have a child, but Nakia won’t be too happy when she finds out. We are not people who keep secrets from each other.
I take my phone to call Qinisela, it’s been a while and I miss him.
Qinisela:Hello Khumbulani.
Khumbulani:Qi you don’t call anymore.
Qinisela:Honeymoon phase brother, I barely have time to even check my emails.
He recently got married to his girlfriend of three years, he looks and seems so happy and I love that for him. The first month of marriage is so exciting, I know it.
Khumbulani:Ma is here. We have been trying to get through you but nothing.
Qinisela:Bhuti sent me a message, but I wasn’t able to understand. What does ma want us to do?
Khumbulani:She wants to find dad’s killer. She thinks he’s not resting in peace.
Qinisela:Oh okay, I will try coming that side. When are you going?
Khumbulani:She said tomorrow.
Qinisela:It’s an hour drive to get there, so I will see you….
Khumbulani:Okay, see you tomorrow then..
.
.
.
NAKIA.
With Khumbulani’s mother here, I need to always be moving and cleaning around. I don’t want to give her more reason to not like me. I have finished cleaning and now I’m preparing lunch. One thing I know, I’m the best when it comes to the pots. Lani always licks his fingers when he eats my food.
She comes to the kitchen and touches the ingredients I had put in the table.
Mom:What are you making?
Nakia:Githeri, my home food.
Mom:What is that?
Nakia:It’s a one pot meal, I’m going to add beans and corn, tomatoes, onions and any seasoning to make it more tasty.
Mom:I have never eaten Kenyan food before.
I swear I saw her smile a little.
Mom:Let me not disturb you. Kbumbulani is always boasting about your food, so I want to see.

Okay, that just put more pressure on me. But do not worry, you can do this. You are a chef for God’s sake, you can do this!!
.
.
.
KAYISE
Mphathi left to his brother’s house, apparently his mother is around. She did good by not coming here. I wouldn’t have been able to control myself around her. I don’t get it how we could still be having mother in laws who hates their son’s wives. In this day and time! It’s not only boring, but disgusting. What ever happened to letting people do what they want?
My marriage is not the same anymore, the issue of not having kids is draining. But I’m not the one with the problem, Mphathi is, even though I don’t understand how. Because we have went to different doctors and they all tell us different things.
I respect my husband’s dignity, that’s why I won’t tell his mother he’s the one with the problem. But he can’t stand up for me to his mother. Khumbulani stands up for his wife, his mother won’t dare insult Nakia in front of her.
Anyway, I’m at work right now. I’m working at a bakery shop, I know it’s not an amazing job but it’s the best I could find. I’m working on ways to find a job that pays more. I’m not a qualified person, iskole sangihlula nje(I failed at school). I dropped out at grade 11 because I couldn’t do it anymore, I was failing dismally and I didn’t hear the teachers when they were teaching. So it was useless to stay in school.
“Kayise, someone wants two loaves of white bread”, my colleague shouts.
I take the two loaves and hurry to the customer, it was a woman with two kids besides her. I wonder how it feels to be a mother, must be nice.
“How much is it?”
Kayise:R22 for two.
She took out the money and gave it to me.
“Thank you”, I gave her the bread and watched as she walked away with her children.
.
.
.
Please comment.