CHAPTER 11

Karlos leaned back in the swivel chair and removed his round eyeglasses, pinching the bridge of his nose using his thumb and forefinger.

It was only nine o'clock in the morning. However, his energy could already be compared to a mobile phone with a current battery of 20%. Matter of fact, he is only a Junior accountant whose primary job is to prepare and update the financial statements of the company. However, based on the mountain of paperwork on his desk, it seems that his work is as heavy as the job of a Senior accountant or manager in other departments. Goodness. What he read on a site was accurate. With a great promotion comes great responsibility.

Cautiously, Karlos massaged his eyelids in a circular motion until moments later, he resumed encoding the data, determined to reduce at least half of the journals in front of him.

“Hey, Milo...”

Karlos turned around and was met by a worried Taylor. Lowering his gaze, he noticed his favorite banana loaf that the young lady was handing him. Karlos beamed gratefully and then shook his head.

“So thoughtful,” Karlos stated in a teasing tone, attempting to conceal how stressed he was from the pile of papers on his office desk, “Thanks, Tay but don’t worry. I ate breakfast before going to work. Also, I'm confident that it's not free.”

Chuckling, Karlos proceeded with his task. For whatever reason, irritating his friend somehow relieved his stress.

“Well, since you look pitiful, this time it’s free.” Taylor approaches the man and despite his protest to accept the purchased bread, she decides to place it in his lap to cease him from declining her offer, “Gosh, Milo… Another set of workloads?... Where did these files come from?” She snatched the folder and sat on the edge of the table, flipping through the pages in curiosity. While analyzing the contents, she was immediately overwhelmed by the amount of detail she was reading. She seemed to feel giddy when she caught sight of the huge digits.

Karlos unleash a deep sigh at the question and responded, “From the executive office.”

“Executive office? So… In other words, from the CEO?”

Exhaling, Karlos nodded in response as his eyes remained focused on the computer screen. Taylor, on the other hand, frowned as she scanned the documents in hand. Wondering why her friend was often assigned to perform the duties that should have been assigned to high-ranking officers. Most especially, regulating these confidentialities that came directly from the top management. Of all people, why Karlos? A bit odd and… questionable? However, she could only tell one thing. It's so damn unfair. If she were in Karlos' position, certainly, she would demand a salary increase.

“Milo. Hand me the rest.”

“What?—No. It’s okay. I got this, Tay.”

“Oh, really? Don't tell me you're too shy to ask a woman for help? Estrabao, I'm serious! Come on, let me help you.”

“Tay, I appreciate your offer but no need.” Karlos glanced at the brunette who was now pouting while crossing her arms, causing him to chuckle at her appearance, “Come on, I'm okay! Please, go back to your table. I'll just ask for your help if needed.”

Truthfully, he genuinely appreciates her concern. However, as much as possible, he does not want to ask for any assistance. Not because he is egoistic or hates to function as a team player. It's just that working alone helps him to be more productive in his role. Further, he is fully aware that his wife is the person behind the sudden increase in his workload. Therefore, he didn't want to involve his friend in the torture that his wife was doing to him. If he wants to prove something or impress his Lolo, he must face the challenges by himself.