Chapter 34- The Homecoming

It's finally here. The day I have been waiting for for months. Homecoming.

Brett asked me last week, when we were at the coffee shop studying. He made a huge productuon out of it. He got down on one knee, and announced in front of the whole cafe. And of course, I said yes.

Since then, I have been frantically trying to get everything in order. Courtney found a date, and Della last minute can't go, because the court finally decided if her mom gets full custody or not. Fingers crossed for the best.

I made arrangements for all three of us to get our nails and hair done anyway, because Della seriously needed to her her head off of the hearing. She is so nervous, yesterday she wore a lilac top with blue pants, and wore her sisters pink converse. Thank goodness Courtney had a change of clothes in her locker.

"Della, I think you should try out a coral nail color, it will match your new handbag!" I hold the pink to her, but she shakes her head.

"My mom already called my dad and specified that I was to dress appropriately in court. That means no bright nail polish, no colorful makeup, nothing," She sighs, picking out a creamy baby pink instead.

"You can stick to old lady brown as much as you want, I'm going for glow in the dark hot pink!" Courtney smiles.

"You could do glow in the dark too! It's not like they will ever know. It only glows in the dark. Plus, it's only a top coat, so you can keep your baby pink," I suggest, handing her a glow in the dark topcoat.

She seems hesitant, "I guess you're right."

"We'll have these colors, Ma'am," I smile at the manicurist.

Once were all settled in to our chairs, the girl talk starts.

"So, Courtney, who's your date?" Della winks, and for a few minutes the stress disappears from her face.

She turns a crimson red, and avoids the question.

"Courtney. What's wrong?" I stop flipping through the newest issue of my mother's magazine to stare her down.

Courtney shruggs, continuing to avoid our frantic eyes.

"Courtney, if something is wrong you need to tell us," Della asks, her voice full of concern.

When she finally looks up, I notice she is half smirking. Not sad, joking around.

"Okay, cut it out. What is it?" I roll my eyes, happy for no more drama.

She smiles even bigger.

"Is he a cutie?" Della smiles.

"Maybe," Courtney winks.

"TELL US EVERYTHING!" They squeal, as teenaged girls do.

"Well, I've known him for two months..." She starts, but I am immediately thrown off track.

Did she just say what I thought she said?