Chapter 54- The Overthinking

My mind has been spinning for a week.

Or has it been longer? Because I can't really keep track of time anymore.

My boyfriend is Soda Pop. Brett. My Brett. Is the guy the police have been looking for for months.

That does explain a lot though. The bag of cash under his mattress, why he never orders cola at restaurants, why he never answered my calls in the morning.

My phone rings. I don't move to answer it. The call goes to voicemail. A text makes my phone ding. I don't move to see who it is. I just sit there, staring at my ceiling.

I haven't moved from my spot for the whole weekend nearly. I moved once today to pee, but that's it. It's just my thoughts and me.

This makes me an accessory. I know about it. That makes me an accessory. An accessory to a crime. That I didn't even commit.

A soft knock on my door startles me.

"Casey? Honey? Can I talk to you for a minute?" My mom says softly.

When I don't answer, she walks over to where I am lying on the floor, and sits next to me.

"Casey, I don't know why you have been so down in the dumps, but you haven't said a word to me this week. Are you... depressed? Did something happen with Brett? Did you two break up? Because I am here for you."

I look at her, studying the way her eyes naturally widen when she is worried. I wonder if mine do the same...

"If you don't want to talk about it that's fine. Just take all the time you need. But if you are having some scary...um.... thoughts you will tell me right? Casey I just hate to see you like this," She begins to stand, and the pregnant pause lifts as I finally speak up.

"No mom, we didn't break up. He just told me something that really just needs time to sink in. And it just won't sink in. I'm fine, don't worry."

"What did he tell you? Does he have a... sexual disease or something?" Her pauses only make things more awkward.

"No, Mom! Ew! No! Seriously?"

"Sorry, you said secret and my mind just went to, well, you know."

"No. It's not that. I can't really tell you. Or anyone for that matter."

"Okay," She sighs. "But if you change your mind, you know where to find me."

She turns on her heels quickly. "Oh, and I know you had a party."

"What? How did you find out?"

"Hmm. I don't know. Maybe it was the barf in my vase. Or maybe it was the underwear collection in the baby grand piano. Or maybe it was the fact that your brother posted a video of him doing the Gagnam Style dance on our patio furniture."

"Oh, yeah, sorry," I apologize.

"Mhmmm," She raises her eyebrows before turning and walking out.

She leaves, and it is just me and my swirling, spiraling mind.

Do I tell him I know? Do I turn him in? If I turn him in, I will most likely not get arrested. Most likely.

But if I don't turn him in, that would make me an accessory. An accessory to some crime that I didn't even commit.

But it's not like I want Brett to go to jail. I love him.

But this changes everything. He lied to me. Just like Marcus.

Yeah, but at least Marcus' lies never landed him in prison. The little voice in the back of my mind who just loves to chime in actually gives me helpful input for once.

There has to be another way. I can't turn my boyfriend in.

But I can turn myself in...

No. That would be crazy. Stop thinking like that. It could ruin my entire future. No college, no job, no money, and I end up homeless after I get out of prison.

No. That is not an option.

I really wish I could unhear the confessions of last weekend.

....................

So exited this book is almost finished. Ahhhhhh.

Please keep reading.

Xoxo,

Sydney