Chapter 12

A rainy invasion

"A plan is  only as good as those who see it through"

Donovia was a rainy planet where engineers and mechanics known as the Donovian rainmen maintained signal towers used for communication across the galaxy. There were multiple plants on the planet, each plant having its own amount of signal towers needed for each system. They played a critical part in the war since their brilliant engineers created the Republic's primary communication system.

And, of course, when the Separatists found out about this, they just had to go ahead and mess everything up. The mole that leaked the information was hadn't been found yet, but Xena had a slight suspicion that his life will end with a head severed from the rest of his body.

Because the Republic was, respectfully, eating its own ass at this point.

Any and all communication between major Republican outposts were corrupted and broken. Information couldn't get in or out in the Outer Rims, paving a clear path for the Separatists to invade whatever moon or planet they wanted, and the Republic wouldn't be alerted. Any communication between ships and planets were nothing more than static noise, and even the small communicators used by individuals seemed to malfunction, hacking away at words in the middle of a sentence.

Luckily, the Republic took quick note of this. Jedi were sent to the outposts with a battalion of Clones to serve as a warning, a checkpoint, or a defense.

But this couldn't go on. The signal towers of Donovia needed to fall into the hands of the Republic again, and quickly at that. It was a planetary invasion. And a big one at that. Xena had never even seen so many ships gathered around a single planet. Nor had she ever held as tightly onto a railing before to keep herself from tumbling down the Resolute's halls.

"Get those ships ready!"

"General Ka-Ann's ship is down!"

"Send a rescue squad!"

"We can't!"

It was chaos.

And all Xena wanted to do was get to the ship she and her Master would use to get to the planet's surface. That was all she needed to do. Just go down the hall, take two left turns, go right, and she was in the hangar.

Xena wasn't ready for this, not at all. In fact, she was still in her night dress, wrinkled from what had been a very nice few hours of sleep. A shifty little dress that was not made for fighting. They weren't supposed to meet with resilience just yet. The Separatists were stationed too far out.

Xena was resting and sleeping to get all the strength together needed for this promisingly, very long, and very intense mission. Maybe meditating in her combat robes would have been better, but Xena needed sleep to gather energy. She was supposed to wake up in half an hour and get dressed. She was supposed to meet with Obi-Wan and the rest of the Generals at the bridge 45 minutes from now. She was supposed to get onto the ship headed for the surface an hour later.

Not be shaken awake by Obi-Wan, have her lightsaber stuffed in her hand, and yanked out of bed. Not being pulled along the corridors by her Master towards the hanger. Not get separated from Obi-Wan with all the running around of admirals, Clones, and Force know who else, and the intense shaking of the ship as it was being shot at relentlessly by the Separatist- Well... Xena blamed her weak ankles for her lack of progress.