Chapter 19

When the heart speaks

"A secret shared is a trust formed."

"You will regret this," Anakin warned as he ignited his own lightsaber, the blue shining much brighter than the darksaber in Xena's hands. The darksaber hummed in retaliation, sensing the danger of Anakin. Xena gripped it tighter.

Xena closed her eyes for a moment, absorbing just what she was about to do. Letting it settle in her bones, the grief and dread. And oh, how she hated herself as she apologized to Luke and Leia. She had failed to save Anakin Skywalker.

The darksaber crackled dangerously, the spirit of Xena's overwhelming dread and determination making it pull on Xena's hands even more. She stepped forward and swung.

Of course, Anakin was a much better fighter than Xena could ever be. The best of the best. And in Xena's current state, bruised and beaten and on the verge of her body giving in, a lightsaber duel will undoubtedly be her demise, not just her loss. So the darksaber crackled with electricity, and a bolt of lightning curved like the blade shot at Anakin.

Anakin blocked the lightning with his lightsaber. Jumping forward, taking advantage of higher ground, Anakin brought his quick work of the saber down on Xena. A millisecond too late on Xena's block, and she would have been dead. Xena dropped down, grunting as she slipped her foot where Anakin would have landed. Her ankle got busted as Anakin landed on it, but it served its purpose of throwing Anakin off balance.

Xena swung out her arm and slammed a blow of the Force on Anakin's side, propelling him meters away with the intensity. This is where Xena would win. Abandoning the darksaber in her left hand, Xena used her stronger arm and kept punching blow after blow through the Force at Anakin, relentless in her attack.

For Anakin, it felt like the weight of a tank kept slamming into him from the blast of Force Xena kept throwing at him.

"You've been blinded by fear, Anakin," Xena slammed Anakin into a portrait of what she assumed to be a great-grandfather or something. Arm tired and hanging, Xena quickly wiped a tear away, stalking closer to a recovering Anakin. She readied her left arm, a charge and tingling building for the oncoming lightning. "I'm sorry I didn't try to help you earlier...."

Anakin stood up, hand holding his head as he readied his lightsaber, stabilizing his vision. Grunting, he marched forward, a glint of yellow passing over frustrated eyes, "You're wrong!"

Xena's arm shot out, lightning following its designated path. The room shook as Anakin dodged in time, the wall burning with markings similar to those on Luke's body.

"You will become a Sith Lord, Anakin!" Xena shot another lightning bolt at Anakin, missing her mark again. Her vision blurred, whether from tears or exhaustion, Xena could only guess. Something screamed at the back of her mind, an overwhelming presence pulling at her spirit. Xena ignored it, only focussing on the burn in her heart. "I won't let you kill the Jedi!"

Anakin sprinted forwards, the blade of his lightsaber vibrating in an angry humm against Xena's vambraces, inches away from her face. It burned. "And what do you know of my future!?" Anakin screamed into her face, voice thundering and threatening.

"I am the future!"

The darksaber slipped past Anakin's notice, slicing at his side before he could evade. A moment of confusion, and then there was anger again. Anakin pushed again, lightsaber swinging dangerously close to Xena.