Chapter 10

Chapter song: Shout- Ida Redig

I didn't sleep that night, this time it was on purpose. I positioned myself in a dark corner, waiting for the three boys to make their escape just how I had guessed,
"Newt, I really think we should wake y/n, ask her to come with us" Fry suggested. He sat in the drivers seat of the jeep in which Newt leaned on, cockily waiting for Thomas.
"It's too risky for her, Wicked want her more than any of us" Newt dismissed. It was pretty hard to hear them as they were talking extremely quietly and I was sat a fair distance away from them. The two stopped talking when footsteps could be heard approaching us.
"Where do you think you're going then?" newt asked, flicking on a dim light, illuminating Thomas' shocked face. I got a little worried they would see me when they turned on the light; they didn't. I began making my way towards the jeep, throwing a small tracker I found in the back of the berg into the open window of the jeep. It made a small noise when it landed which Fry noticed but quickly brushed it off, continuing to persuade Thomas into joining them. I pulled out a small screen and turned it on, sure enough the location of the tracker began flashing on the screen. I quickly hid again as the other two climbed into the car, allowing Fry to drive off into the night.

"Remind me again why we couldn't have gone with them in the first place?" Brenda asked me as I guided Jorge in the right direction. I sat in the back of the car, the wind running through my hair as I smiled up at the girl,
"Thomas seems to think he can do everything alone, I'm just tryna show him he can't." Brenda playfully shook her head at me. I straightened my posture, tapping on Jorge's shoulder as we began approaching an old 'infection check'.
"Uh you might want to step on it mate" I informed him, crank screeches ringing out in the distance,
"and why's that?" The man asked me, glancing back briefly, still keeping his eye on the road,
"The cars stopped moving" Jorge did exactly as I told him and I held on tighter, taking my gun from my holster, preparing for what we were about to face.

I was almost relieved to hear the three boys shouting, although it was shouts of pure terror, at least they were still alive.
"Hey idiots, get in!" I shouted as me and Brenda began holding off the cranks, shooting whenever they got too close.
"I'm impressed! You guys almost lasted a whole day!" Jorge laughed as we reached the other end of the tunnel, I pulled my hand up to cover my eyes from the suns harsh glare,
"You okay?" I asked Newt, a fairly cocky smile on my face, which I jus couldn't rid,
"yeah.." He muttered back at me, I nodded in reply. Brenda turned around from the passenger seat, looking at Thomas, also rather cockily,
"Look I'm sorry, I didn't wanna bring you guys into this" Thomas defended, looking between me and Brenda. The girl smiled, handing the boys my tracker,
"You're lucky y/n knew what you were doing" They all looked up at me, confused yet glad at the same time,
"You were tracking us? How?" Newt asked, staring at me. I was trying to figure out if we has happy I did it or what, but his face was genuinely too hard to read,
"I guess I just knew you weren't ready to give up on Minho yet" I paused for a second until the attention shifted off of me, "And neither am I" I whispered, so quiet I hoped nobody would hear it, but by the stupid grin which sat on Newt's face as he began looking everywhere but my eyes, I suppose he might've.
"I wouldn't get your hopes up. That checkpoint back there was the city's last defence, if that was overrun, chances are the city is too." Jorge informed us, keeping his eyes on the road ahead for any other awaiting cranks we might come across. I glanced at Newt, expecting to see a disappointed face or something but no. He stared out of the window at the distance and I could physically feel my jaw dropping,
"Yeah unless they figured some other way to keep the cranks out" He simply stated, catching Jorge's attention. He slammed on the brakes, causing the car to skid to a holt, a dust cloud surrounding us as we came to a stop, everyone jumping out the car. I had never seen anything like it before, huge walls encased the city as it cowered behind them. I released a breath I didn't know I was holding, scoffing in disbelief. It was mesmerising to look at, this wasn't your ordinary city, nothing I had ever seen before. I wasn't really stood near the others, not listening to them, just admiring the view. It hit me just how hard it was going to be to get Minho back, if they were willing to kill children and build walls around their cities to keep themselves safe, who knew what else they would be willing to do. I saw Newt and Thomas talking to each other as the others climbed back into the car, I took one last look at the city from afar before turning around, flashing Fry a thankful smile as he gave me his hand, pulling me up into the back of the car as the two boys began walking over to us.

The car ride was silent, as expected. I didn't want to talk though, too many thoughts ran through my head. No doubt the security in the city was going to be insane, and after all the shit we've pulled? There's no way we aren't on at least three different lists. It had only just hit me how dangerous this could be, for all we know, there could be killer drones or soldiers who were told to 'shoot to kill'. We were going in blind and had no idea what we were up against. I glanced over at Newt, who's eyes were glued onto the floor, he looked anxious. I rested my head on his shoulder, looking out at the city, watching as the already big buildings grew taller. He smiled, resting his head upon mine, gently placing his hand on mine; I could feel his shaking slightly.
"We're going to get him back, Newt" I whispered,
"I know, I just have a bad feeling, that's all" He admitted, it was fair enough though, I couldn't really blame him,
"I'd call you an idiot if you didn't" I informed him, and I could feel him smiling. I looked up, furrowing my brows as I noticed drone like things hovering above the city, flying around, cameras located on the bottom of them, almost like they were looking for something. I shook it off, they were probably just for identifying cranks or something.

word count: 1157
total word count: 13, 987