Chapter 9: White Wolf

Celia pushed open the door to Lance's office, without bothering to knock. He was talking to a soldier, who, when he saw Celia, just saluted to both of them and left.

"Are the werewolves our problem as well, or just the victim?", Celia leaned on the table. Lance shrugged:

"The Clave will deal with the attackers themselves. How long is this idiot going to block my personnel?"

"Do I look like a doctor to you?", Celia snapped, "as soon as he wakes up, I will offer him a position in the army. Then you are rid of him, whether he accepts or not."

"You're gonna offer that idiot a position in our army?", Lance snarled. But Celia just shrugged:

"I guess he would not be the first one."

Lance leaned forward, closer to Celia's face than she was comfortable with. But she did not recoil even an inch. She would not give him that satisfaction.

"Do not get cocky with me, princess.", Lance's lips curved into a cold smile, "you should rather pay attention to persuading people like me. People that do not grovel for you just because of your name."

Celia scoffed:

"What do you expect from me? A kiss?"

"Interesting that that is your first association. Maybe the rumors are true and it wouldn't be the first time you slept with someone to gain their loyalty?"

Celia knew immediately what rumor he was referring to:

"Ew", she wrinkled her nose, "I did not take you for someone that is interested in those kind of ideas."

Lance chuckled and leaned back in his chair:

"I mean, let's be honest: Benicio Cavallería, son of a man who is infamous for hating everything about the royal family. Why else would he become your Parabatai? And why else would you make him yours, other than to control his parents?"

Celia tilted her head. Every time she heard this version of reality, she felt more bewildered by it.

"You're scared I will try to control your parents?"

"Oh, it is not me who believes these rumors."

"Then what is the point of this conversation?"

"The point is", Lance's smile grew wider, "to show you that you are vulnerable from so many angles. A single word here or there and you could lose it all."

Celia scoffed:

"And you think that that does not apply to you? A mere soldier who is threatening the crown princess personally?"

Lance did not answer. He just kept on smiling. Their starring contest continued for a few more seconds, until a soldier stormed into the office:

"I am so sorry for interrupting, Your Highness, Sir, but we have a bit of a situation in the infirmary."

When they reached the infirmary, what Celia had imagined as the worst option had become true. Mr. Henson was standing in the doorframe to Silas' room, trying to get past Jess, who struggled to hold him back. From inside the darkened room came a low growl. Celia saw the glowing eyes even from where she was standing a few feet down the hall. She jumped forward and yanked both of them backwards. She reached for the door handle of the door to close it again – and promptly a set of fangs landed in her arm.

"¡Ah, joder!", Celia yelped and aimed her elbow right at the wolf's snout. It was an extremely sensitive point, especially for a youngster. The wolf let go of her arm and retreated into the darkness of the room with a whining sound.