Chapter 27: A Demon with Impact

The next morning while eating breakfast was the first time in a while that Celia checked her phone and almost all of the messages she had gotten from her friends in New York. They had send her quiet a few. The more of the Celia read, the more of a headache she got. Apparently Alec had tried to track Jace down and ended up in some kind of coma. Then Jace re-appeared and Alec woke up, but now Jace had been arrested and imprisoned in the City of Bones. Celia groaned. Why are they not able to keep anything together while I am gone? She was about to reply when Rubi walked into the common room:

"Hey Celia... I have bad news", she looked at Celia's expression, "and they don't seem to be the first ones today."

Celia sighed:

"Hit me... Can't get much worse at this point."

"Well, there was nothing suspicious about your dearest seconds, Celia. I could literally find nothing about them that would make sense for this case.", Rubi slumped down on one of the chairs, "they really just seem to be waste their money over on whatever island they live on right now."

Celia sighed:

"Great... So what now?"

"I don't know", Rubi replied and shook her head, "You found out nothing here?"

Celia shook her head:

"No... A lot of hints that were dead ends. Nothing that really adds up."

Celia's phone vibrated once more. This time it was an alert from the Institute:

Demon intrusion within barriers!

"Urgh!", Celia was not far from throwing her phone against the wall, "How the fuck did these idiots let a demon get into the Institute?!"

Rubi looked at her with wide eyes:

"Seriously? How incompetent has the Clave gotten?"

Celia sighed:

"Beyond a stage that I can describe with words...", she slumped further into the chair, "I don't want to go..."

"Well, you would have to talk to Álvaro about it anyway.", Rubi smirked, "come on, duty calls."

Celia peeled herself from the chair and went to Álvaro's office. She would just quickly tell him about the alert and then leave.

Celia knocked on Álvaro's door.

"Yes?", Álvaro called from inside. Celia opened the door and stuck her head into Álvaro's office:

"I'm going to leave for New York urgently now, alright?"

He looked up from his papers, a little confused:

"Didn't you say you would only leave when the thing with Tia is cleared up?"

"Yes... But we aren't getting anywhere. Rubi just came back, my seconds are also off the list of suspects. Also, there is a bunch of stuff happening in New York. Alec has been in some kind of coma the last few hours, Jace has been imprisoned into the City of Bones and just now I got an alert about a demon attack on the Institute. I need to go and make sure they are not burning the whole city down as well."

Álvaro put the papers that he had been working on aside and pointed to the chair on the other side of the desk:

"Celia, I need to talk to you for a minute."

Celia froze at the stern tone. She entered the room fully, closed the door and sat down. Álvaro had always been a mentor for her, a trainer, not just her commander. She knew this tone too well: he was about to give her some advice, even if it was uncomfortable.