Chapter 13: Siblings and Challenges

After the door had closed, Benicio immediately asked the question that Celia had seen coming for a while now:

"Are you okay?"

"Oh, it's a family matter basically...", Celia didn't know how else to describe it. But Benicio was heading in a different direction:

"I meant you, not your sidekick."

Celia looked at him for a second; surprised that she was feeling a hint of jealousy from Benicio.

"Well... I guess I'm fine aside from the obvious. Why are you here?"

Benicio raised an eyebrow:

"Please don't tell me that they didn't inform you?"

Celia was confused:

"I guess they didn't...?"

Benicio rolled his eyes and sighed:

"Great, cause it's tomorrow! Okay, listen: One of the higher families wants a duel. They doubt you have the right leadership qualities for the future, as the elder put it. But if you ask me they just want to improve their own chances to get the throne."

Celia was trying to stay calm. It was a relatively common practice to challenge a higher ranked family in a duel, since strength and the ability to fight were valued traits in the Hybrid society. But Celia had not expected anyone to challenge her in this way, since she was a member of the special force and therefore had already proven her extraordinary fighting skills. And she at least expected a longer notice than 24 hours!

"Which family is it?", she knew that probably all of the higher families wanted to try and improve their chances on the throne, but no one specific came to mind.

"Tamayo..."

She gasped:

„Are you kidding me?! They are already sitting on the Council, they are fifth in line and have a single son my age. How many more options do they want from life?"

The Tamayo's were one of the older families in the territory. And they were one of the most powerful ones as well. Their current elder, Salvador Tamayo, was the financial advisor to the crown, so he was one of the men second in line after César - aside Celia of course.

"Has the challenge been approved already?", Celia had the slight hope that César might step in and stop this nonsense, as leader of the territory he had to approve all propositions for any duels. But Benicio nodded:
"Rodríguez already gave his blessing. That's why Álvaro sent me here: To train with you and assist during the duel. I don't think Rodríguez knows that I'm here though, so..."

Celia did not hear the end of his sentence. She was frozen in place. I don't even want this stupid position and now I have to put my life on the line for it... Celia let her breath out slowly, feeling how the rational soldier in her took over again:

"Well, I guess then there is nothing we can do but fight...", when Celia looked at Benicio she saw the worry in his eyes, but they both knew she was right, "we can start training immediately, I just have to go by the Institute to get my swords."

Benicio raised an eyebrow:

"You don't have your weapons here?"

Celia rolled her eyes:

"When I came here with Alec, I forgot them. But don't think I am unarmed."

Benicio did not say another word about the topic while they walked to the Institute. Instead, they discussed the combat trial, which still seemed a little spontaneous for Celia: