Chapter 53: Deciding Factor

Celia had known that the Seelie Queen was dangerous, but the details she was aware off were otherwise hidden from most people. Another question pushed its way into Celia's mind. Does she know about the magic too?

Since Celia did not react, Benicio answered in her stead:

"That was not the Clave's fault.", he answered, "I agree with all of you that Valentine needs to be stopped and the Clave is obviously being its typical ignorant self, but we can not blame them for all our problems. Or create more by angering them!"

"He is right.", Luke nodded towards Benicio, "and even though I may not trust the Clave, I do trust Clary. She told me that she and Jace found the Mortal Mirror to save the Downworld."

"Your love for the Shadowhunters blinds you. That is why your pack has lost so many wolves.", the Seelie Queen said, "and you, Magnus Bane? After the lies your boyfriend has told you, surely you are on my side?"

She is getting personal...

"I beg your patience, Your Grace. Breaking our allegiance with the Shadowhunters is a step that requires further consideration.", Magnus was clearly trying hard to stay matter-of-fact.

"Just don't let your crush get in the way of saving your people.", the Seelie Queen answered and turned to Celia, "what about you, Your Highness? You are awfully quiet."

Celia crossed her arms in front of her chest:

"I am trying to figure out what your goal is with this Downworld alliance. More power? Submission of the Clave? Or the total destruction of it?"

The Seelie Queen smiled once more:
"I want to protect the Downworld from destruction. And give them a fair chance against the Clave.", she sighed theatrically, "unfortunately, the only downworld race they recognize as somewhat equal so far are the Hybrids. Because you still carry a bit of them in your genes."

"I agree with the goals you named.", Celia made sure to emphasize that she was aware that there were hidden motives, "but I am not sure I agree with the methods you are implying."

The Seelie Queen sighed once more, stood up from her chair and walked over to a rose bush. Celia watched every one of her moves. She was not in the mood to be surprised by seelie magic today. But the Queen simply picked two of the flowers and cam back to them. One of them she tucked in the front pocket of Magnus' suit.

"You are all indecisive. Once all the petals on this rose turn black, your time for decisions is up.", then she turned to Celia and Benicio. She grabbed Benicio's hand and dropped the flower into his palm. Celia felt how Benicio stiffened. When the Seelie Queen kept his hand in hers for a moment longer than necessary, Celia gave her a deadly glance. What is she even doing at this point?

The Queen finally let go of Benicio and turned back to face Luke and Magnus as well:

"Please, do all remember: If you will not be on my side, you will be on the loosing side."

"I don't like that woman... Nor do I trust her.", Benicio voiced his concern towards Celia while they were on their way back to the Institute. The two of them had separated themselves from Magnus and Luke so they could discuss what to do.

"I don't either. But we can't exactly base the fate of our nation on personal feelings."

Celia had send a quick summary of the meeting to César as soon as they were done with it. The only thing that he had replied was that Celia would have sole authority with this decision.

"What do we know as a rational fact then?", Benicio asked.

"That the Clave are assholes and so are the Seelies."