Chapter 35: Rite of Passage

Celia found herself sitting on the floor in Magnus' apartment, Magnus in front of her.

"Alright, stretch out your hands in front of you and close your eyes.", he instructed.

"Close my eyes?", Celia asked.

"Oh, you people with your trust issues...", Magnus sighed, "I won't kill you, I promise."

Celia rolled her eyes at the comment and reluctantly did as Magnus had commanded.

"Now try and feel the magic inside you.", he continued, "once you feel it, try to pull it to the surface."

Celia sighed. She did not feel anything except uncomfortable.

"This isn't working.", she mumbled.

"You tried for a second!", Magnus scolded, "when was the last time you took the suppressant?"

Celia shrugged:
"Two days ago?"

"Well then this can't work.", Magnus answered. Celia heard how he got up from the floor and opened her eyes:

"Where are you going?"

"Brewing something that will negate the effects of the medication.", he answered simply and disappeared into his office.

Celia slowly followed him. She leaned against the door frame and watched as Magnus poured together different liquids, casting small spells in between.

"Can you stop starring?", he suddenly snarled.

Celia lowered her gaze:

"Sorry...", they would have to spend some time together. It was probably a smart move not to ruin any chance at an at least civilized relationship in the first hour.

For a while, the only sound in the room came from Magnus working. Celia carefully looked around, her mind wandering as much as her eyes. At some point, her thoughts circled back to the magic. Celia stretched out her hand and looked at her palm.

"Do you know why he gave me his powers?", she asked quietly.

"No I don't.", Magnus simply answered. Then his expression hardened:

"I do not know why Emiliano gave you his powers when you killed him.", Magnus looked straight at Celia, "you can't even say his name."

Celia blinked:

"Believe me, that is not what is bothering me about this case!"

Magnus scoffed, even though it sounded more sad than anything else:

"It's just another case to you..."

"I followed orders, Magnus."

"What was the reason for the kill order?", Magnus asked, "I know you guys need proper reasons and evidence to get a kill order. What was the reason?"

Celia hesitated for a moment. This was classified information. But on the other hand, no damage could really be done if she told Magnus.

"He was preparing a big hit against the Hybrids in Mexico. You may know that there is an old feud between the local Warlocks and Hybrids. Certain groups on both sides still want this feud solved with bloodshed. Emiliano was planning an attack with such a group on the hybrid capital."

Magnus shook his head:

"Emiliano was the most pacifistic person I ever knew. He was never part of such a group, let alone had such opinions."

"We found the plans, handwritten", Celia shrugged, "maybe he just never showed that side of him."

"No.", Magnus shook his head rapidly, "that can't be true."