Chapter 47: They don't know

The next morning, Celia was not tired at all, even though her and Raphael had talked through the entire rest of the night. They had come up with a few scenarios as possible explanations for what had happened to Simon. They also had come up with several ways of finding out what really happened and – most importantly – how they could go on with this knowledge now.

Celia tapped her fingers on the top of her desk. Since the incident in the Institute yesterday, she had been locked out of the database and any related systems. But when she came in this morning, Alec had promised her that he would take care of it.

Suddenly, the blank screen lit up and revealed the system of the Clave. Celia grinned:

"Full access, baby..."

It was too bad that the first thing she would do with the restored trust was to abuse it. Celia entered the monitoring system and build a loop into all cameras in the section of the cells. She quickly shut the laptop and got up. She would have to get this done before anyone would notice.

"Ophelia, you stay here, please.", Celia instructed and left. Ophelia had come with her to the Institute this morning again, but she just sat quietly in a corner of Celia's office and read her book, acknowledged her instruction with a nod.

In the hallway, Celia was approached by Alec:

"Celia, hey, can we talk for a second?"

Oops.

"Sure, what is it?"

Alec was hesitant to answer, which just put Celia more on edge.

"So, I had this idea", he finally started, "I want to introduce a Downworlder Council, here in the Institute. For more transparency between the Downworld and the Clave, so that we can work together in a better way. And not just the Clave dictating them around."

Alec still seemed to be a little unsure about his idea, but Celia was on board immediately:

"Alec, that's one of the best ideas you ever had! You're already doing great as Head of the Institute."

"Thanks.", he said, with a shy smile, "so, what I wanted to ask you: would you attend please? As the one responsible for the hybrid army here?"

"Of course I'm going to be there! Did you really have to ask?"

Alec smiled:

"Apparently not. It is going to start tonight after sunset."

Celia gave him a thumbs up and disappeared into the annex of the Institute. At least it seemed like Alec had his mind set on different things right now. Celia could only hope that no one else was paying too much attention to the cameras either.

When Celia walked up to the corridor leading to Valentine's cell, she was immediately approached by the guard:

"Do you have permission to be down here?"

With lighting speed, Celia reached forward and placed her hands on his temples:

"Yes, I have permission", she felt how his mind accepted the foreign control, "I have permission and you will forget that I was ever here", the Shadowhunter nodded slowly, "and now you will turn around, face the wall and wait until I leave again."

He nodded again and the moment Celia let go of him, he did as she told him. The ability to use the encanto spell was useful, but Celia had to be quick if she did not want it to wear off and be discovered. She left the Shadowhunter standing there and turned to Valentine's cell. He was sitting on the small bunk and was grinning:

"Good job. Just that you forgot that there are cameras down here."

Celia shook her head:

"Long taken care of."