Chapter 56: Burying Things

Celia simply walked into the palace as she was. Covered in dirt and sweat, having blood smeared all over her. She knew that there was a Court meeting right now. And what better way to tell them that she was going to finally do what they were telling her?

When she pushed the door to the meeting room open, all eyes were on her immediately.

"Celia, you can't just waltz in here.", César stated.

"Celia, what happened?", Álvaro asked and got up from his seat at the table. Celia looked at each of them. What she wanted to say felt too surreal to actually say out loud. Álvaro approached her, putting a hand on her shoulder:

"Are you alright?", he asked quietly. Celia looked at him. And suddenly, she felt the urge to smile:

"I've never been better.", she took another step forward and straightened her back, "Eileen Boyd is not a threat anymore."

Everyone gasped slightly. Everyone except the commander of the army, who simply looked intrigued and César, who was watching Celia from the far end of the table.

"I stripped her of her powers. She will be lucky if she survives her injuries in that state. Regardless of that though, she will never become as powerful as she was. And therefore I consider my duty towards my family fulfilled.", Celia looked directly at César, "I will take the throne as soon as possible."

For a moment, everyone was dead silent. Then, the commander of the army pushed his chair back, producing an unnerving sound on the tiles, and got up. He bend his body into a deep bow:

"Your Majesty. The royal armed forces are at your service."

"Thank you."

At the other end of the table, César clapped his hands together, jerking everyone from their stunned state:

"Well, if these aren't good news, then I do not know what is. We have a lot to plan and should get started right away. Would you all please give me a moment to discuss the details with the Crown Princess in private?"

Everyone nodded and got up from their seats. Álvaro pulled Celia close once more, as the other Court members headed for the door around them:

"Are you sure you are alright? If I had known you would do that -"

"I didn't know either.", Celia interrupted him gently, "but it all worked out. I am free of this now."

Álvaro seemed like he wanted to say something, but he did not. Instead, he just nodded:

"That's good to hear.", he paused once more, "I'm proud of you."

"Muñoz, if you would.", César interrupted them and gestured towards the door. Álvaro turned around to him:

"You know actually, last time you spoke alone with Celia -"

"It's fine.", Celia spoke up before Álvaro could finish his sentence. She had a feeling that she would have to face César on her own a lot more often now. And she would have to win those arguments against him as well, to establish that she was just as capable as him. More capable.

Álvaro just sighed:

"I'll go tell the others then.", he stated and left the room. César waited out every single second until the doors were closed behind Álvaro before he spoke again:

"You should have discussed this with me beforehand."

"And why is that?", Celia immediately matched his accusing tone with an attitude of her own.