Chapter 7

My heart was banging vigorously against my ribcage and I needed to sit down.

"I-I-" the words weren't coming out right as a lump had formed in my throat. I felt slightly dizzy, knowing nothing good would happen when I arrived back home.

"Ellie?" Harry's voice seemed far away, and I was no longer aware of whether or not he was still close by. I was too caught up in my thoughts to pay attention to my surroundings."Ellie?" He spoke again, but I couldn't find my voice.

"Elliot?" He was persistent, but I didn't reply. Instead I started walking - with a voice in my head reminding me that I needed to get home as soon as possible. Unfortunately I didn't get far because I tripped and just as I was certain I would hit the concrete beneath me I felt two strong arms wrap around my frame.

I'm not letting you fall. His words from earlier would have had me smiling in any other situation, but I felt too bad to let his promise make me feel better.

I was sure I was going to hyperventilate for no particular reason. I knew I was overreacting, but I couldn't help it. "Elliot, look at me!" His voice was harsh yet worried and I managed to look in to his eyes. Green.

For some reason the color of his eyes was all I could focus on.

"Elliot, talk to me. Say something. You are scaring me."

And just like that I snapped back to reality. I didn't want him to worry about me. I was okay. At least for now.

"Can you take me away?"

He gave me a confused look. "What?"

I took a deep breath and shook my head. "Nothing. I'm fine. At least I hope I will be."

"What's happening?"

I showed him my phone with all the missed calls, and he didn't look less confused. "Why are all these people calling you?"

"Because, I'm in trouble." I sighed. "Because I forgot to call home and tell them where I was."

"And they couldn't just send you a text?" He looked at me with narrowed eyes.

"No. Things are too complicated. Thank you for tonight, but I think this was a mistake." I gave him a smile and began to walk, but once again I didn't get far. A hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

"I'm not letting you go, until you tell me what's going on."

I bit my bottom lip and took a deep breath. "I told you, I don't normally do this. In a matter of fact, every day I get picked up at 4pm and then I go straight home unless I'm going to the library. You and I being around each other is only going to stir up problems. I loved tonight. I truly did. It's been the most fun I've had in a really long time, but this isn't going to work."

"But this isn't a mistake."

"I'm sorry, Harry. You are a great guy, but we can't see each other. Not even as friends. If my parents find out. I'm dead."

"Let me talk to them, and I'll change their minds." He smiled at me, and all I wanted to do was tell my parents that this was my life, and I was going to do whatever I pleased, but unfortunately it wasn't that easy.

"Trust me. They wouldn't understand."

"So what now?"

"If I'm lucky, I won't be grounded forever and I'll come up with an excuse for them not to kill you."

"That doesn't sound promosing. What if I want to see you again outside of class."

"Then we have a problem. But maybe-" I paused, thinking my options through even though they were limited, "-maybe if we are careful. We can make it work," I said, I knew I shouldn't have given into him, but I couldn't resist. The way he looked at me was adorable, and Jen had already said it. He was different - in the best possible way. There was no way he was going to hurt me.