Chapter 23

I knew it was wrong of me, but I had dreaded this day the entire week. I had enjoyed being by myself and having Harry over way too much. I missed Mia and her cooking, but I was happy she had finally gotten some time off for once.

Hearing the front door open I felt the adrenaline pump through my body. Harry had sent me an encouraging text with 'good luck', but we both knew I needed more than that to get through whatever was coming.

"You happy to see them again?" Mia asked as she appeared in my room.

"Not really. Especially not after what happened last Saturday."

"We're home." Maggie's words echoed through the house, and I faked Mia a smile.

"You'll be okay. I doubt you should expect an apology from your father. We both know what he did was wrong, though."

"Can I sell him on the black market?" I asked sarcastically.

She laughed and though, it was wrong of us to find it funny, we both knew how terrible he was. I was sure the only reason she had put up with him for so long was because of Maggie and I, and for that, I would always love her. She took my hand and gave it a soft, encouraging squeeze. If only this past week could last forever. That way, I didn't have to look into the eyes of the man I despised the most ever again. 

Mum was the first one to give me a hug and though it should feel nice to be back in her embrace, I felt nothing. It was sad, but it was the truth. This was what her absence during my childhood had done to me. "It's so good to see you, love," she cooed, and I faked her a smile. I stayed silent. I didn't have much left for either of them. When she let go of me, Maggie wrapped her arms around me in an awkward embrace. She had made me upset with her text and whether or not it was intentional it had hurt nonetheless, so when I placed my hands on her back it wasn't in a loving or kind gesture it was simply in politeness.

"I missed you," she told me, and I hoped my confusion wasn't evident. I thought she would enjoy being alone with mum and dad. And I didn't think there'd be any time for missing me so I wasn't sure whether or not she was speaking the truth.

"Elliot," father said when I pulled back from Maggie's embrace, and I stayed quiet not even wanting to acknowledge his presence.

"You not even going to say anything?" He sneered, and I pretended not to hear him. I knew ignoring wasn't the best idea, but I didn't care. He took a step closer to me and gave me a stern look.

As if on reflect I closed my eyes, certain he was going to slap me again, but fortunately he didn't. "You better watch it, young lady."

"Or what? You want to slap me again. Go ahead. I have nothing to say to you."

"Elliot!" Mum piped in, and I noticed Maggie roll her eyes. Without discussing the matter any further, I went to the kitchen curious to know if Mia needed help with dinner. Anything to get out of the situation at hand.

Luckily, none of them followed me, and I let out a sigh of relief and gave Mia a smile. Sadly, the moment was soon ruined when I heard footsteps coming our way.

"Why aren't the sheets cleaned?" Father questioned, and Mia gave me a worried look. Clearly, she didn't know what to say, and I knew his words were directed towards her.

"I-I told her to do other things," I cut in quickly hoping it wouldn't get her in trouble. Better me than her, besides I was already on his bad side.

"Like what?" He snapped.

"Cleaning my sheets. Teaching me how to cook. Stuff like that," I lied not sure what to say to get him off her back, but hopefully it would work.

"Why would you need to learn how to cook?" He crossed his arms.