little thief. rook hunt

⎯⎯⎯⎯

little thief

little thief

rook hunt. ルーク・ハント

⎯⎯⎯⎯

THIS IS A bad idea and you are aware of it, one of these days your pride will kill you, especially if you continue to indulge the stupid initiatives and challenges of the first year boys.

You are older than them and should, theoretically, be an example of maturity and patience and instead here you are.

Mentally scolding yourself, you walk alongside the blond, your steps accompanying his as you keep up with his pace.

You're not understanding half of what he's saying with how distracted you are - even though the way he speaks is already confusing - and you're sure he noticed it even though he's pretending not to.

The corridors are full of students, meaning to talk to each other or go where they need to go, just like you are going towards the hall of mirrors to reach Pomfiore's dorm. Rook's voice fills your ears, loud and clear, even attracting the attention of others.

Your gaze, however, seems equally distracted, barely moving on him. Your eyes focus on the floor tiles, and your eyebrows furrow a little.

"Roi du Poison has a photo shoot today, I can't wait to see the photos, I'm sure they will be magnifique."

You nod mindlessly, your arm brushing against his as the two of you walk, but your attention stays away from him until he speaks to you again.

"You're more distracted than usual." He observes, you finally turn to look at him, first at his face and then your gaze is inevitably caught by his hat.

"But your lost expression is trés jolie."

Here we go again, you don't know why his words, although generally addressed to everyone - he's not stingy with his compliments -, always manage to make you blush.

You just advert your gaze once again, turning your head to the other side. "Stop that." You mumble under your breath, not immediately getting an answer but you can sense his smile without seeing it.

"Stop what?"

You ignore his question, continuing to walk with him, all the while trying to gather courage. You try to outline at least a guideline for your actions, some kind of plan.

But you immediately realize that there isn't much to organize, you just have to do it. A quick action and then letting the adrenaline of the moment guide you, of course if you are still alive.

At least you already know who to come haunt when you're a ghost, but you're just being dramatic. Right?

Right?

Your hands almost tremble as you turn to him, looking at him as your steps slow as if you both know something is about to happen. You ignore the way your heartbeat increases in speed, becoming almost painful and uncomfortable in your chest.

Narrowing your eyes, enough to attract Rook's curiosity, you move your gaze to a specific point behind him. "What is that?"

To your surprise, he actually turns to look at what you are seemingly looking at - nothing. It's time to act, you step forward, a hand on his shoulder as you lean towards him. On tiptoe due to the height difference.

Time almost seems to stop, it's as if his eyes move in slow motion towards you, catching a small glimpse of what you're doing.

His eyebrows raise, and you can almost see his instincts kick in, but he stops himself just in time. Your other hand grabs his hat.

Immediately you take a step back. Silence for what seems like hours, yet must be seconds.

"You little thief."

A laugh follows his words, and at that moment you start running away, his hat clutched in your hands.

"You can run as much as you want, I will find you wherever you go."

⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯

published: may 13, 2024