Chapter. 40 - Great Or Good

Gwen quickly blinked away her tears when the goths finally returned. She cleared her throat and tried to act like she was just lounging around waiting for them.

They must've bought it because none of them gave her a questioning look when they spotted her sitting on the floor with her back against the lockers.

Henrietta nodded at her to follow them as they headed to the cafeteria and Gwen slowly got to her feet.

The lunch room was as loud as always with high schoolers talking over one another and yelling across the room. The staff monitoring them didn't even bother to try and quiet them down, they knew the attempts would be futile.

It wasn't until they saw Gwen walking in with the goths dressed in black with dark makeup that half of the room went silent.

As much as she loved the attention, after her run in with Nick, Gwen couldn't even bring herself to enjoy it. Especially not when he was staring at her too, sat at the popular kids table beside Bebe.

He nudged the blonde's shoulder and nodded his head towards Gwen as if to say "Look at her trying to be edgy". Bebe snorted when she spotted her.

Gwen felt beyond stupid. How could she think this was a good idea? Going goth wasn't going to make Nick think she was any cooler. And, as her eyes shifted over to where she usually sat with the boys, she realized it wasn't earning her any points with them either.

Wendy looked beyond disappointed at Gwen's attire and choice of company while the boys just looked confused. They knew she had been upset about bumping into that Nicholas guy but not so much that she'd go goth overnight.

The only ones who didn't seem to mind her new look were Stan, who sat beside Wendy, admiring how soft her matte black lipstick made her lips look. And Kenny, who was silently committing every inch of her curves in her snug corset top to memory.

As Wendy rolled her eyes at the goths and turned back to her conversation with her boyfriend, Stan quickly looked down at his plate so she wouldn't realize where his eyes had been.

"We sit there." Pete gestured towards the far back of the room near the trash cans after he noticed Gwen eyeing her usual spot. She could practically smell the rancid milk from here.

"I'm not sitting there." She stated plainly.

"You don't really have a choice." Said Henrietta. "No other tables gonna let you sit—" Gwen was already making her way over to the boys table before Henrietta could even finish talking.

"Follow me if you want." She said over her shoulder as she walked away.

The goths all looked to each other for guidance. Henrietta shook her head but the others simply shrugged and hesitantly followed Gwen to the table. The goth's leader huffed in exasperation and begrudgingly trudged after the rest of the group.

"Hey boys, Wendy," Gwen greeted her friends as she sat down. When she saw that the goths weren't far behind she gestured towards them. "These are my new friends, they're gonna sit with us, cool?"

Cartman opened his mouth to complain but was cut off by Gwen.

"Cool."

Wendy frowned hard as the goths approached the table and looked ready to burst when they sat down. She started at them in bewilderment before flickering around the room to see if anyone was watching, as if the goths sitting at their table was the most scandalous thing on the planet.

"What do you think you're doing?" She hissed through her teeth at Gwen. "They can't sit with us!"

"Chill, Wendy, it's cool." Said Stan.

"It is not cool," The beret wearing brunette scoffed folding her arms over her chest as she sank in her seat. "It's social suicide, is what it is."

"Wow, Wendy, you're starting to sound a lot like Bebe." Taunted Henrietta.

Gwen eyed her. "She is, isn't she?"

"Don't even." Wendy tsked. She really wasn't appreciating the sudden double team.

"You were best friends for a reason, weren't you?" Teased Pete.

Wendy's face went red as she glared at the smirking goths before her. They were messing with her on purpose, trying to get a reaction out of her. She wasn't about to give them the satisfaction.

"Bebe and I had been growing apart for a while now." She ground out trying to stay calm. "Just because we hung out with the same group doesn't mean we were bff's."

She gave Gwen a pointed look. She could try and cram the black cloaked freaks into their table all she wanted, they would never truly be a part of their group.

"Subtle." Chuffed Henrietta.

"Alright, that's enough," Kyle stepped in. "Can't we just eat lunch in peace?"

"K-kyle's right," Said Butters. "It's, uh, Gwen's first day back, w-we shouldn't be fighting."

His eyes landed on the brunette with a soft smile. He had been so worried when she wouldn't answer anyone's texts and he didn't exactly get the chance to ask how she was when she was shooting them off of her porch yesterday.

"Y-you look..." He began, but trailed off as he couldn't help but notice how short her skirt was. He swallowed thickly.

Gwen's brows furrowed. "Yeah?"

"Uh—"

"You look hot, Doll." Kenny cut in with his signature flirty smirk.

Gwen eyed Butters a little longer waiting for him to say something but he was too busy sinking into his seat from the stolen moment. So the brunette turned to Kenny with an appreciative smile and thanked him instead.

"Yeah," Said Stan, butting in again. "Black looks great on you."

A hot blush crept up Gwen's cheeks at the compliments and Wendy sucked her teeth.

"What about me?" She turned to Stan.

"Huh?" He jolted like he had forgotten she was even sitting beside him. "Oh— well... You look good in black too."

"But not great?" Her face soured.

"What?"

"You said I look good in black." Wendy reiterated irritably. "But not great, like Gwen."

"Jesus Christ, are we seriously arguing about this right now?" Cartman groaned through a mouthful of chicken.

Wendy gave him a sharp look and he rolled his eyes but didn't pipe up again. Her eyes then landed on Stan expectantly and he quickly straightened up.

"Of course, I think you look great, Wen," Stan scratched at the back of his head awkwardly. "I meant to say great. Gorgeous even."

She narrowed her eyes at her boyfriend for a moment before slowly breaking into a smile.

"That's better."

His eyes flickered to Gwen again, at the way her corset top hugged her waist, and imagined what it would be like to wrap his arms around her middle and pull her close to him.

He quickly shook the thought from his mind and cleared his throat as he focused on his food. He shouldn't be thinking like that.