Prologue

PRESENT
SCARLETT's POV

"What, or who, is your greatest what if?"

I looked up, meeting my therapist's eyes. Hold on, did she say something? I am too distracted by my own thoughts. I've been going to this therapy for a month now, and I don't think I've ever shared something deep.

It wasn't my choice or decision to be here anyway, it was my mom's decision. Always her decision.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"What, or who, is your greatest what if?" Dr. Brown asked.

Oh.

"Um," I gulped, "I don't know."

But I do know. I know.

Dr. Brown smiled, "You can talk to me, Scarlett. I know you want to, and I'm here to listen. You can tell me anything, okay?"

I bit my bottom lip.

I also know that. She's a therapist for fuck's sake. Maybe I should talk?

That's why I'm here in the first place, to fucking talk.

Fuck it.

I nodded. "Sure."

"Okay, let's try again. What, or who, is your greatest what if?" Dr. Brown asked again.

I took a deep and shaky breath while playing with the ring on my finger.

"My..." I stopped, I can feel my heart breaking. "My greatest what if is her." I said and smiled sadly.

Dr. Brown smiled like she won a lottery. I can't really blame her for that because this is the first time that I said anything other than fuck off, Dr. Brown and you can tell my mom to fuck herself.

"That's a great start!" Dr. Brown said.

That's not the word that I would use, great start. If anything, it's a fucking disaster.

And if someone said a year ago that I'll be sitting in a room with a fucking therapist now? I'll probably just laugh and think that they're fucking crazy. And even more so if they said it's because of her.

Her, someone that I hated.

Someone I consider my greatest what if.