Chapter 5- What the hell?

"Mother I have something to confess to you", Khioné was telling my mother as we got home from school today.

I was so annoyed that after school, on Mondays and Fridays, I had to see that teacher. I mean, I dont really go out because of this gang war. I'm not allowed to attend any meetings because I'm not old enough. So that has made me ignorant to who the gang leaders are.

Khioné is allowed to go to these meetings which takes place about ten minutes from my house. She knows who the gang leaders are. In fact, she knows almost everything, but she refuses to tell me anything.

I dont mind but sometimes it feels like if I'm missing out. I mean supposed I'm talking to someone who is from a rival gang how would i know? These are the questions I usually ponder on but I never had the audacity to ask my father.

My sister is now in a bind. She is just nineteen years old. Its not a crime to get pregnant at nineteen, but the person she got pregnant for is going to pose some problems.

Shay Simone is the baby daddy. He is twenty two years of age. He had close cut hair and dark chocolate color skin.

Shay belongs to the rival gang. Which gang? I dont know. Who is the leader? I dont know. But I know that daddy isn't going to be too happy.

My mother turned from the island to face her. My mother is Nelisa Suerez-Callaway. She is originally from the Caribbean island of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines but her parents are from Chile. She has long curly hair and Kayel's color eyes.

"What is it?", my mother said. Her voice bore signs of the Vincentian accent and the Spanish in her.

"Mother, I'm pregnant", Khioné faltered. Silence reigned throughout the kitchen and although the room was extremely large, it felt suffocating. It felt as if you can just touch the silence, wrap it up and put it in a plastic bag.

"What?", was a low growl behind me. I was startled, and I spun around. My heart skipped a beat when I saw who it was. The hell, I thought to myself, its not me who is pregnant. So I tried to regain my composure.

"Dad", Khioné stammered. And indeed it was. He was standing there in all his glory. He was light brown with shoulder length Carib Indian hair pulled back in one. His arm was packed with tattoes. My dad's name was Shad, but everybody I know called him Blaze.

"What did you just said?", daddy said slowly and dangerously.

Nobody could tell daddy a lie, or even try to rescind their statement.He will simply know if you are lying.

I looked at Khioné and I could see all the pain and terror etched on her small sculpted face.

"I said that I'm four weeks pregnant", she whispered.

"Who is the father?", daddy said softly. I was surprised. Well not really, because this quiet tone was so unusual that it made me quivered inside. This is so not my father.

"Shay", Khioné said. Of course daddy would not know who the father was. Khioné hardly went out and besides she didn't disclose her dating life to anybody, except me.

"Who is Shay?", Daddy whispered harshly.

Khioné was uncomfortable. It showed in her posture and her pretty face.

I spoke up for her, "Daddy Shay Simone. He is in the rival gang."

Daddy stared at me like if it was me who committed the crime.

"Shay Simone? You GOT PREGNANT FOR SHAY SIMONE", Daddy shouted.

Khioné cringed. And tears welled up in her eyes. I really felt sorry for her, to be the one to fall under Daddy's wrath.

"Dad", Khioné cringed.

"I'm surprised at you. We will discuss this privately. I have to go to a meeting. You coming?", Daddy said to mummy.

"Yes", she replied shortly, "Khioné you coming?"

"Yes Mummy", I guess she wanted to go so at least daddy wouldn't kill her.

"Lyssa watch Kayel please?", mummy said turning to leave.

"Mum, where is Kay?"

"Room, sleeping".