Chapter 19-Unforeseen

Peyton was looking better now. Her skin had lost that deathly pall that it had acquired while we were here. However, they still had not notice that Peyton was no longer as weak as she had looked. Her eyes still had this feverish energy burning within. It was as if an old soul lived within her and was dying to get out and try to destroy the evil that lurked just a few seconds away.

However, the same could not be said about Melissa. She still looked sick as if she was going to die in the next couple of minutes.

I still did not understand how Lyla was so strong. I had thought that she was human, nothing else, that she was reincarnated. I did not expect her to possess magic.

And her magic seemed old and ancient.

They had told me that Aqueela had found both of them dead, so how is it that Lyla is alive today and yet she burns with such strong yet old magic?

I knew that she could defeat me because I was young and untrained, however, I also knew that she couldn't defeat Peyton because she was trained and she had her magic longer than me.

However, there was a downfall to both of us.

Peyton was too weak still. Simply meaning, she had not acquire her full potential of energy as yet and I was untrained. I did not know how to focus my magic. So all in all, we both needed help.

We both needed each other.

Together we could be indestructible if we had a couple more days.

However, we were not provided with that luxury .

"Peyton", I said telepathically to her, "Can you hear me?".

After about ten seconds hesitation, I felt her opening up her mind to me.

"Yes", she replied weakly.

I sighed in relief, "tell me how your sister came to acquire such immense yet old power".

"She sold Aqueela to the witch when she found out that you cannot really take another person's power", she replied.

"So when I spoke to Aqueela, she was already dead? That's one of my gifts. Speaking to the already deceased", I said.

"Yes", she replied, somberly.

"How come the Elders can't help us?", I asked again.

She paused for a minute then said, "they know that they will be killed if they try to approach Lyla. Lyla is stronger than the three of them combined".

"Do you believe that we can defeat them?", I asked, not facing her.

"Yes we can. However I'm too weak and you are untrained".

"Maybe we can work it out. You send me spells and I try to work them".

"Maybe that can work, however it's not like that. You may die Alyssa".

"Come on", I rushed on frantically, "we can just try. We have no time to prepare. Also, I realized that Seraphina constantly sends me hints. That means I can get help from her, if I keep a level head".

She thought for a minute then said, "we have to think of a way to escape".

I thought hard for about three minutes for you cannot get out of these restraints easily. Firstly, they could damage your skin and secondly, they were spelled.

They were spelled!.

"Do you know how to get out a spelled lock?", I asked excitedly.

"Yes. I'll send you the spell", she replied, hope flaring in her eyes.