War of a Rose • Chapter 47

Chapter Forty-seven
Rosaelia

I had been searching for Alessio for hours, but he was nowhere to be found. I had checked every room in the house and even went outside to look for him, but he was gone. The panic began to set in, and my mind raced with thoughts of what could have happened to him. Was he hurt? Was he in trouble? Did he know? I couldn't bear the thought of losing him.

As the night dragged on, I grew tired and decided to wait for him in his study. Maybe he had just gone there to be alone for a while. I settled into one of the chairs, hoping he would come back soon.

But the hours ticked by, and I found myself growing more and more exhausted. Eventually, I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, and I drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up, it was to the sound of glass shattering. My heart raced as I sat up, looking around for the source of the noise. And then I saw him.

Alessio was standing by the window, a bottle of whiskey in his hand. He was wasted, and his eyes were unfocused as he stared out into the darkness. I knew he had been drinking to numb the pain, but it only made everything worse.

I slowly get up from the chair and approach him. As I walked closer to him, his gaze remained fixed on the window, staring out into the darkness. I could smell the alcohol on his breath from across the room.

"Alessio, please, listen to me. I-"

He cuts me off, turning around to face me, his eyes red and glazed over, "Where were you?" he slurred, his voice laced with anger.

"I was looking for you," I replied, my voice trembling slightly.

"Looking for me?" he scoffed, taking a swig from the bottle. "And you ended up falling asleep in my study?"

"I was waiting for you," I explained. "I thought you might have been in danger. We both know my father could have showed up last night."

He let out a bitter laugh. "In danger? From you, you mean."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off. "I know everything, Rosaelia. Everything."

I froze. He knew. I could feel my heart racing in my chest. I reached a hand out to grab his arm and flinched when he pulled away, "Alessio, pl-"

"Shut up and listen, Rosaelia. I trusted you completely. I thought you were the only one I could rely on in this world. But you've proved me wrong. You've betrayed me in the worst possible way."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I never wanted to hurt you. Please, just hear me out." I plead with him, my voice shaking.

He scoffs, taking a swig from the bottle. "You expect me to believe that? You had months to come clean and yet you chose to lie to me every single day. Do you have any idea how that feels?"

Tears started streaming down my face as I begged, "I do, Alessio. I know I messed up. But please, don't throw everything away because of my mistakes. I love you, and I will do anything to make it right."

His eyes were empty as he asked, "Do you know what it feels like to have your heart ripped out?"

I shook my head, not knowing where he was going with this.

"It fucking hurts, Rosaelia. And now, it's gone," he said, lifting his hand that held the whiskey bottle and poking my chest, where my heart was.

I could feel my heart racing, as I asked, "What are you talking about?"

"Would you like to feel what it's like to have your heart shattered?" he said, getting closer to me.

"No," I whispered.