TWENTY TWO

//JUNE 29TH 2022//

//JUNE 29TH 2022//

"Okay, that's it, H. What have you been smiling at this whole time, huh?" Zayn's hand stops its work on my arm, the tattoo gun halting at his question. He puts the gun down, taking off his black gloves and pushing his rolling chair back a bit from me.

I look down to my left arm, seeing the small hanger he was tattooing being finished, and looking back to see him across from me. "Sorry?" His words pull me back into reality, a goofy smile littered on my face as my head turns to the left to see Zayn staring at me, brows raised.

When I give him nothing more, he gives a sort of shocked scoff, his mouth in an almost surprised open jawed smile.

My initial thought is that I'm glad I have a privacy screen on my phone, but that is quickly replaced simply by the thought of her. I'd do anything to talk about her —to brag about her— for the rest of my life.

There's just something about her. Trying to pinpoint what it was that I was mesmerized over this time I realize I just can't remember. Every time it's something different —something new— that makes my heart want to surrender to her.

I miss her all the time. I miss her in the morning, while I'm eating lunch. I miss her in the evening, while I'm writing. I miss her right now, while I'm sitting in Zayn's tattoo shop, his hands working tirelessly at the work on my arm. Phili sitting with us, asking me about school coming up, the break almost being over and my excitement to have our days back in the classroom. I'm still stuck thinking about my Clementine.

Ever since she waltzed back into my life I haven't been able to get her off my mind. But at this point I won't even try, I don't want her anywhere else.

Whenever my mind wanders, it finds its way to her.

Where is she right now? What is she doing?

Is she thinking about me too?

What color is she wearing today?

How are little freckles doing? Is she binding them today? Or is she letting them live freely on her beautiful face?

Who's looking into her enchanting brown eyes right about now?

I feel my smile falter, knowing Clem said she'd be with Bennett today.

A slight chill runs down my spine at the idea of Bennett still thinking she's in any way still his.

Not that she's mine quite yet, I mean we haven't even been out on our first real date together yet. And not that she's anyone's really, she's her own person and if anything I'm hers before she's mine.

I've been hers since our first little interaction at Cherry's tiki bar on the Island all those months ago. Her effortless beauty radiating through her judgment over Liam and his efforts to dazzle us with his performance. Her annoyance causing a smile to find its way onto her lips, radiating past her face and casting one onto mine as well.