Chapter Two

Index: Vanirs- Fairies - fertility gods   Vámr - loathsome person   Skitstöve - someone full of shit   Draugar - dead like zombies  Kracken - a sea monster 

****

The fan released, and dangled from her wrist, resting upon the folds of the dress. Ellie took hold of his much larger hand that swamped her, peppering her with goosebumps, zapped with a tingling sensation, rippling through her entire body, falling into his dark, sultry eyes.

He wanted to dance with her. Be still, my beating heart. "Yes, I would love to," she answered breathlessly.

Keeping hold of her hand, Thor led her out onto the dance floor, swinging her into his arm, the dress swishing out around her. His firm hold on her kept her steady as she tripped over her feet, straightened upright, giving a weak smile.

"Sorry."

Thor pulled her closer, having more control. "Is that better?"

"Yes," she breathed, as he twirled her around the dance floor. Not so sure about her racing heart, the dress, feeling far too tight against her skin. This made up for every dance she had missed throughout school, and later. Not asked, so had volunteered to help, working behind the scene, because Ronnie wouldn't go without her.

Look at her now, the belle of the ball, dancing with her prince, not a prince, a god.

Probably just in her eyes.

There wasn't supposed to be a prince, knowing it wasn't real. When she left, it would be back to being Ellie, but for now, she was going to enjoy this. Let her guard down, peering up under her lashes, swept over his exposed half-face into his dark sensual eyes.

He was the one in control, light on his feet, it felt like she was floating on air. His hand on her waist branded her, relishing the sensation.

She should be wary, yet it felt so right.

It felt like they were the only people on the floor in the room. The music soared from the live band; the lights dimmed, and all she saw was the man in front of her. As they spun around on the spot, the dress swirled around them.

Then waltzed around the floor.

If he dipped her, she was going to pass out.

When he did as the music finished, she let out a slight squeal, clasping his shoulder as he guided her up straight, capturing her gaze. Laughing, she dropped her forehead on his shoulder as they swayed to the slower beat, becoming more aware.

They weren't alone. The lights were bright as before, with a soft warm glow, glimpsing around and no one seemed to be interested in them, frowning. Who wouldn't be interested in Thor?

This most gorgeous man stood out in the crowd.

Shaking herself mentally. Stop it. It's a ball. You're dancing with the most stunning man alive, and he's talking to her, peering up under her lashes.

"Sorry, I was off with the vanirs."

He placed their locked hands upon his heart. "How you wound me."

"Now you ruined the moment with corniness."

He laughed openly, resonant and deeply, warming her heart, as did his twinkling mischievous eyes. Seeing a bit of Loki in him. "You have caught me out. I was asking if you needed your drink now?"

"What? Oh, no," she rushed in too quickly, cheeks flushed. "To be honest, it's my first..." Ronnie, focus on Ronnie. "My first dip." When it had been much more than that. She didn't want the dance to end. She doubted this would ever happen again. "Do you dip often?"