Chapter Sixteen

Ellie paled, tugging at the scarf for lack of plait, lowering her head with embarrassment. Ronnie had, and there had been a lot of fuss. Their parents lecture on swapping, grounded, and had to be on their best behaviour.

The most embarrassing moment in her life in so many ways.

Ronnie won't be judged, and stood her ground, while she had lost herself in the library that she loved. A haven. As much as she loved her sister, she hadn't thought about what this was doing to her.

The last thing she wanted to be brought up. And in front of Kaden.

It was in the past. Where she wanted to keep it.

None of that was meant to happen.

They always defended each other.

They were sisters. Ronnie had protected her against a boy who had been mean to her. She was now turning on Kaden. One Ellie didn't need defending against, and she had never seen Ronnie react so strongly as she was now.

This wasn't her sister.

Yes, she always spoke up for herself and others, but not like this, so aggressively.

She had lied to him, something Ellie had promised herself never to do again. Ellie's head jerked up.

"You won't touch Kaden. It was a lie then, and we have lied again," she snarled, hating it, blinking rapidly. "I swear here and now in front of Kaden, we shall never change places again!"

Kaden straightened up in the chair. "That's not quite true, Elnora," he said in a low voice.

Ronnie paled, repelling back into her seat. "You're choosing him over me?" she asked with so much hurt it broke Ellie's heart. It wasn't choosing one over another, she just wanted this to stop.

"No," Ellie said with a catch in her voice. "Ronnie, I cannot do this anymore. I'm here because of you," placing a clenched hand against her chest, "not me, and Kaden will never hurt us. He's protecting his family as you do, so get off your high horse."

Ronnie shot Kaden a hard, deadly glare that sent a shiver down Ellie's spine. Ellie gave Kaden a sideways glance. His gaze focused on Ronnie, watching, silent, jaw tight.

"I don't know what you have done," Ronnie jerked up, hands on the table, eyes wild, "but you won't have my sister!"

Kaden didn't even flinch while Ellie winced, wishing this to end, lips parting, only to remain silent as he raised a hand. "Are you saying that your sister doesn't have a mind of her own? Easily led? More fool you."

No one had ever stood up for her before, apart from her sister.

Flabbergasted, Ronnie glared at him, waving at Ellie. "You just didn't do that to my sister?"

"Please," Ellie begged. "This was supposed to be a quiet dinner. I just wanted you to see Kaden as the generous host he really was." Ronnie scoffed. Ellie turned towards Kaden, reached out and touched his hand that was on the table between them.

Knowing he hadn't been shutting her down.

No matter what he did or do it wouldn't be seen right in Ronnie's eyes.

"She's my sister who worries over me, too much," Ellie added with force, giving Ronnie a warning glance, who was staring at her, then her hand on Kaden's, mouth pinching. "Can't we just have dinner without all this drama, focus beyond what happened, and enjoy the ambience of the place? There is nothing like it."

Ellie glanced at her sister who was still staring at her hand on Kaden's so removed it, drawing his gaze towards her that darkened, jaw clenched. "Just under a week and we will be back to normal, and never have to be here again," she promised.