Chapter Fourteen - Part Two

Arriving back at the palace, Billie cradled in her arms, Ellie climbed out of the car. Kaden had been so quiet on the way back. He had come back empty-handed, and said they were leaving, packed them up and they were gone.

Something had upset him. Angry at her, she heard it in the tone of his voice, giving her attention to Billy, hating the stony silence. Especially after a wonderful time in the desert, sharing meals, and his life.

Their time in the desert had vanished like a heatwave.

Maybe she had done something wrong without knowing it and he didn't want to expose her to the bedouin after all, cradling Billie closer to her aching heart.

"I hope everything is alright?" she asked with concern.

He gave her a sharp look piercing her through the heart. "You tell me!" The harshness in his tone turned her icy cold to the core.

Ellie swallowed, struggling to keep the tears at bay, disoriented.

Why did she get the feeling that her days were numbered?

Stroking Billie, she blinked rapidly. "You know."

"Damn right I do!"

Kaden waved across a man, removing Billy from her, and found herself back in the suite of rooms in a bewilderment daze. The stillness in his body, the darkness in his eyes and clenched jawline, said it all, her heart sinking.

Her worst fears were happening. Ellie reached for Kaden's arm falling short as he glanced down and then up, sterner faced so clasped her arm instead, head lowering.

"She's my sister." Hoping he would understand that, desperate for him to do so.

"Yes, I know that now, don't I!" he hissed, raking a hand over the nape of his neck, resting his gaze on her lowered head. "You do not know what you have done. She might be your sister, but I'm trying to save a country from the brink of war."

Stunned, she blinked up at him. "I'm sorry."

"And those clothes weren't yours. It all makes sense now. You're nothing like her!" He made it sound so wrong that she wasn't.

Head dropped, shoulder lowering, Ellie tugged at her plait. "I know," she whispered in a tight voice, biting her bottom lip, peering up under her lashes at his forbidding features and also black eyes, arms crossed, rigid as a statue. "What are you going to do? Please don't hurt Ronnie. If she was involved with your brother, she wouldn't have known he's already committed to someone else." No matter what Ronnie wouldn't.

Repelled back, he stared at her as if he didn't know her. "When have I ever hurt you?" Her lips parted. "Do not bring up the drug I gave you, which was the safest way, so you wouldn't get hurt. I wanted to get you here in the safest possible way. Your life was never in danger. I thought you knew that, Ellie Jacobson. That's your name, after all!" 

There was so much anger in his voice that she flinched.

Suddenly he swore, flicking back the side of his headdress. "Elnora, that's your real name," he stepped further back, ready to depart. "Since you only have a sweater to your name. New clothes will be available for you. I will arrange a shopping trip. I'm sure you want more than what is on offer," shaking her head. She loved the caftans. His brow furrowed down. "Why not?"

"I have no money. You have my belongings, my purse. I'm not even sure I can use my card here. And what you have given me already is enough." She eyed him warily. "This won't affect the wedding?"

Again, he stared at her as if he didn't know her. He didn't. Not once had he noticed she wasn't Ronnie, sucking in a sharp laboured breath. Why would he? Clasping her hands together in front of her, her heart raced.