Chapter Twenty-Six Conclusion

Under guards' protection, Ali at her side, an agitated Ellie paced the main living area, and nothing Ali said would stop her from doing so. The burqa was tossed onto a chair. Kaden had disappeared again. No sign of her sister and left in the dark about what was going on.

Ellie was sick of it. Tired of being kept out of things for her protection. Probably her fault. They thought she needs this much protection. Her sister and Kaden. She guessed at home it wasn't so noticeable, because she lived her own life under the roof of her Gran.

But what did she actually do? Go to work, and visit the library, when she could, the rest of the time was looking after her Gran, taking care of her, paying bills, shopping, cooking and keeping it together. Not that worried her, it keep her busy and loved cooking. Loved taking care of her Gran.

No, all this was doing her head in, only to spin around at the sound of the approaching racing footsteps and let out a cry, running across and throwing herself at Ronnie who did the same hugging each other.

"I'm sorry," they both cried out and hugged each other tightly.

Then Ronnie pulled away and clutched Ellie's hand, urging her forward hastily. "We've got to leave now! We have very limited time to do so." There was a panicked tone to her voice that was so unlike her. Before, she had been angry, incensed, not panicked. Ellie looked across at Masoud, who was handing something over to Ali, whispering in his ear, then departed, watching on, stunned as they rushed passed.

Ali joined them and had the girls out of the suite and headed outside towards a waiting car, giving her no room to argue, nearly running to keep at their strides. She didn't even get to say goodbye to Fatima. Everything happening quickly.

Ronnie was quiet at their side, pale, yet determined they left, pushing the pace, eyes darting everywhere, coiled as a spring, giving Ellie no room to ask questions. There was an urgency in her manners, even Ali's. Surely the danger was over? Or was it? Heart pounding.

Ellie kept looking around desperately, her heart sinking into the pit of her stomach, feeling sick. What about Kaden? He had promised her. She can only hope he was outside waiting for her, as they were escorted under guard who joined them as they left Kaden's private wing, towards the side of the palace where she had first arrived.

A car was waiting to take them away.

Had it been four weeks when she had arrived, covered in black, confused and afraid?

Ronnie headed straight for the car and climbed in

Ellie pulled up short, covering her eyes with a hand from the bright sunlight, and turned towards Ali, searching. "We need to wait. Kaden's coming." He had to, as he promised.

"I'm sorry Ellie, but he will not be."

Frantically, she clasped his arm. "He must, you don't understand, he has to," she wailed in pain.

"He won't see you. I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do about that, and you cannot stay."

"What do you mean he won't see me?" Ellie squawked in panic, heart tight in her chest, breathing laboured, clutching at her top. She had dealt with leaving, yet had expected to say goodbye, shaking her head. He can't do this to her, not after he promised her. 

Reluctantly, she must admit, thinking back.

"Sorry Miss Ellie, he's not here," Ali explained, holding his arm open for her departure. "Your car is waiting and your time has run out. He wanted you to have this." Ali handed over a sealed envelope that was given to him by Masoud.

Her eyes widened. Was he hurt? No one had spoken about what happened, especially her sister who was a shadow of herself. They had to go home. He was meant to say goodbye.