Chapter Eighteen

Placing the books on the desk, Ellie climbed the stairs to the second level and sank onto the floor, hugging her legs, surrounded by books.

Time was running out.

If only she could get away, and spend some alone time with Kaden.

Just for a moment before she went home.

Was that so wrong? Lowering her head onto her knees, only to jerk back at a sharp ring of a phone, scrambling to her feet, peering over the edge.

How was that possible? She didn't realise there was a phone in the library, took off and raced down the stairs as it kept on ringing, looking around seeing no phone, especially on the desk, so followed the sound.

Drawn closer to the touch screen for research and a drawer opened under the screen as she approached and stared at a mobile phone, then removed it and swiped.

"Hello?"

"What's going on? Are you alright? Do I have to collect you?" Kaden answered.

A calm washed over her. "No, I'm fine." Taking the phone with her, Ellie settled into the big armchair, curling her feet up at her side. "What did you hear?" He was well informed as usual.

"How upset you were. What has she done now? I can have her removed if you desire?"

Ellie splattered over that, knowing how that would go down. Like a ton of bricks. "No," she breathed. "No matter what, she's my sister and means well. I needed a moment to myself."

"Do you want company? Closing the doors from the inside locks everyone else out."

That was good to know. "Oh, like your bathroom on the plane?"

"Correct."

"Do you have an override control?" Kaden laughed. "Of course you do. No, you have had enough disturbances today. We're on tonight, you, Billy and me?"

"As long as I wear a shinguard, I should be fine," he noted dryly.

"Did you ever think it might be love taps?" she dared, trying not to laugh. Billy did give him a hard time.

"Ones I don't need. Are you sure you are alright? I will always be here for you."

"I know," she sighed. "Thanks, I'm fine," now she had heard his voice.

They talked some more, then replaced the phone in the still-opened drawer into the provided recessed slot and the drawer closed, without her touching a thing. Ellie moved away, then stepped closer and didn't open.

Maybe it only opened when the phone rang, hidden away until needed? Shaking her head she went to join her sister, who was still on edge, though relaxed when Ellie smiled at her, sitting down together on a daybed, where they talked.

"I know I have been overprotective, but you were taken, didn't know where you were. What was happening to you? What do we know about this man, where we are?"

Yes, Ellie understood all that and felt bad about what stress Ronnie would've gone through, having no idea her life wasn't in any danger, claiming her sister's hands to squeeze.

"And we are going home in a couple of days. I have been here for over three weeks, safe and sound. Nothing happened to me. Well looked after and all my needs were seen to, also let me ring Gran so she wouldn't fret." Ronnie didn't need to know about the other incident, which had nothing to do with Kaden. "He has been the perfect gentleman the entire time. I'm not saying it was easy at first, it wasn't."

"Then tell me about it, so I can understand," Ronnie encouraged. That she did, how wonderful the ball was, that spiralled out of control fast, at first too scared to eat, and over time came to realise he wasn't out to hurt or abuse her. Sexually or any other way.