Chapter Twenty-Two

The door opened, and both glanced across as Masoud entered carrying a tablet. Kaden straightened as he approached, keeping his arm around Ellie as she pulled away, his hold tightening, keeping her at his side.

Ellie watched Masoud, who didn't seem fazed by the sight of her, or his brother's arm around her so lean back against Kaden's side needing him. Masoud joined them, showing them some security footage.

By the looks of things, Ronnie had left of her own free will. With a suitcase in tow, escorted by a guard.

Removing his phone, Kaden made calls, while Ellie looked over the footage. "So we know when she left," looking up at Masoud, who gave a time of 7 am, adding another two hours before breakfast. 

Going back to the screen, pausing by touching and enlarging the image of the man with her, eyes widening. A face she would never forget, clasping Kaden's arm tightly. 

"What's wrong?" he asked after excusing himself on phone and holding it against his chest.

"It's him!" Ellie waved frantically at the screen. He whispered into the phone, then hung up, pocketing it, at her panicked state, taking the screen from her trembling hand, where she slammed into his body. "The one that threatened me," she said in a tight voice.

Holding her tight against him, Kaden showed his brother. "Do you know him? Apart from the incident in another area of my wing, he's not a familiar face." 

That meant he didn't work for Kaden, they all had their private guards chosen by them, while there were also palace guards. He answered so many of her questions in the desert.

Masoud took the tablet, having a closer look. "Hmm, leave it with me. I will find out who it is." Glancing across at Ellie. "Don't worry, you are safe with us. Nothing will happen to you. No one will hurt you, not when he's in your corner," he glanced at his brother. "Fully trained."

Her eyes popped, and Kaden shook his head far too late. "Look, we will get this sorted," Kaden promised, rubbing her back. "We will retrace her every step."

Ellie turned towards Kaden more. "Trained in what way?"

"Trained how to protect himself and those in his care," Masoud answered.

"Brother," Kaden growled in warning.

"Not that he would tell you, left us all for dead. Trained by the best out in the desert, we all did the course. Desert survival."

"Explains why a prince can cook," she mumbled under her breath.

"Kaden cooked for you?" Masoud asked, astonished as if it wasn't something he did often.

"Masoud no more," Kaden snarled, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Stay focused. Shall we?" he asked, ignoring her searching gaze, her lips pursing. "You need to get on top of this now. The longer we delay..." falling away as if he remembered who was at his side, her eyes lowered, biting her bottom lip, waiting until they were done.

 She eased out of his hold, rubbing her arms. "What are the chances of getter Ronnie back, unharmed?"

"Until we know what actually happened, you can't speculate on such things. It will only make your head spin. You also need to eat." It had been hours since they had breakfast before they left much later than he had planned, not that she was hungry. "Then have a rest. There is nothing you can do. We have every expert going over all the footage."

She blinked at him, chin trembling. "I don't want to be alone with my thoughts."

"Then go to the library, lose yourself in a book," he suggested, receiving a shaking head.