The Doctor Dances

"Go to your room," the Doctor said in a stern voice. Annika felt Emerson tense at the tone for a second and blushed again because it seemed like he's heard that tone before. It was the Dad tone, the tone you had to listen to. There was the Dad voice and the Mom voice, both warning voices. "Go to your room," the patients tilted there heads in confusion at the Doctor's words, "I mean it. I'm very, very angry with you. I am very, very cross. Go to your room!" the Doctor commanded. 'Yes Sir,' Annika found herself thinking. 'Wonder what'd he do to us?' Mayhem added before the blushing deepened. Annika could practically feel Rose's smirk. The patients hung their heads before dragging their feet back to their beds. The Doctor turned back around, "I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words," he says with a grin.

They made their way out of the room and up the stairs, "Why are they all wearing gas masks?" Rose asked.

"They're not. Those masks are flesh and bone," Jack responded.

"How was your con supposed to work?" the Doctor asked.

"Simple enough, really. Find some harmless piece of space junk, let the nearest Time agent track it back to Earth, convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put fifty percent up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for, never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con," Jack explained.

"Yeah. Perfect," the Doctor said, a bit annoyed.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners. Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day. Getting a hint of disapproval," the ones had been looking at Jack either angry (the Doctor and Rose), unimpressed (Annika), or disappointed (Emerson). Emerson had been the one to tell him to be respectful of the people who will help him and tell them the truth. When he first met Emerson, he had appeared with some alcohol and said, "I'm helping you out, we're having booze. I'm not seeing my wife for a while because I decided to help you, so deal with it and don't try anything."

"Take a look around the room. This is what your harmless piece of space junk did," the Doctor told Jack, swinging his arm around to look at all the patients.

"It was a burnt-out medical transporter. It was empty," Jack defends himself. The Doctor snuck a glance at Emerson which Jack notices as he continues, "Emerson had nothing to do with the plan," he tried defending the other man, All that time he was trying to figure out why he had a bond with the man. It wasn't like he had a thing for Emerson (he didn't even flirt with him ever) and he knew he wasn't a Time Agent. Emerson had internally winced; Jack didn't know that Annika could sense lies. Annika raised an eyebrow at the second statement, but said nothing about it hoping that her suspicion was right and they would also know Jack more. "Doctor," she speaks up, catching the Time Lord's attention before he went up the stairs.

"What?" he responds.

"Jack is telling the truth, he believes it was empty," she told him. The Doctor gave her a look and nodded. The Doctor himself as a great liar, but he knew any children of the God of Lies would know if someone was lying better than he would. Jack, on the other hand, looked shocked that he simply believed her.

"Are we getting out of here?" Rose asked. She was glad to know that even though Jack was trying to con them that he did not intentionally cause what's going on.

"We're going upstairs," the Doctor said.

"I'd rather not," Annika mumbled, Emerson nodding in agreement. The Doctor, however, didn't listen and pulled the two along.

Jack continued defending himself, "I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living. I harmed no-one. I don't know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it."