The Girl in the Fireplace

Mickey stepped out of the TARDIS once it landed. They had dropped Jack off with Sleipnir again and Fenrir whined when Rose wouldn't stay since she really wanted to show Mickey around. "It's a spaceship. Brilliant! I got a spaceship on my first go," Mickey exclaimed.

Rose stepped out, "So did I. Do you always go to a spaceship first?" she asked the Doctor.

"No, not always," the Doctor answered as he stepped out.

"I don't hear anyone but I smell flesh," Annika spoke as she stepped out.

"It does look and sound abandoned," Rose added with a nod.

"Yeah, nothing here. Well, nothing dangerous," the three look at him, "Well, not that dangerous," they still stare, Mayhem's head now included, "You know what, I'll just have a quick scan, in case there's anything dangerous."

"So, what's the date? How far we gone?" Rose asked.

"About three thousand years into your future, give or take," the Doctor said, noticing Annika's furrowed eyebrows as she looks on down a hall, but he went over to a light switch and part of the ceiling lit up with stars, "51st century. Diagmar Cluster, you're a long way from home, Mickey. Two and a half galaxies."

Annika spun around, "Does that mean we could see baby Jack Harkness?" she questioned.

"Oh, yeah!" Rose realized.

"Huh?" Mickey said in confusion.

"Jack's actually from the future, he was born in the 51st century," Annika told him.

"We could, but we shouldn't," the Doctor told the women who grumbled but understood.

"Mickey Smith, meet the universe. See anything you like?" Rose asked as the Doctor starts investigating the console, partly keeping an eye on Annika who seemed to be strolling along the wall.

"Dear me, had some cowboys in here. Got a ton of repair work going on. Now that's odd. Look at that. All the warp engines are going—full capacity. There's enough power running through this ship to punch a hole in the universe, but we're not moving," the Doctor observed, "So where's all that power going?" he questioned.

"You sure vengeful Jack won't show?" Rose asked.

"He either would've started shooting at us, or you and Annie would've heard him," the Doctor said, "Or he's a child, or Emerson's already taken him away."

"Where did the crew go? I wouldn't think there would be an abandoned ship that's still functioning," Mickey pointed out.

"Good question. No life readings on board," the Doctor pointed out, messing with the panel once again. He wanted to know why Annika kept wandering around the same part of the wall. Was something over there?

"Well, we're in deep space. They didn't just step out. And I would think with how big this ship is, we would at least come across someone," Rose said.

"I've checked all sorts of places they could be. Can you smell that?" the Doctor asked.

'It smells like flesh,' Mayhem spoke in Annika's head.

"Yeah, someone's cooking," Rose said.

"Sunday roast, definitely," Mickey said.

The Doctor had looked over to Annika to see her shaking her head. 'What?' he sent mentally.

'That doesn't smell like cooked animal...' Annika answered. 'It's making me hungry.'