Chapter Eighteen | The Beast beneath the Boards

At the first days light the people of Kings Landing were awoken by knights and told to make a move toward the dragon pit.

All exits were blocked so that everyone in the city, everyone, would be there as the Septons prepared all the things needed for the coronation.

People parted as two royal carriages were being trotted down the street, knights on horses in front as they paraded around the Targaryen banner, letting them know who occupied them.

In the first one was Aemond, Naella, Aenor, Helaena and Otto who rode on in front of Aegon, Alicent and Viserra.

Aegon was slumped against the side of the carriage with his head back in utter defeat, he did not want this.

"Have the decency to look grateful", Alicent scolded him on his posture, but Aegon only hummed at her words. "Do you know what's been done to give you this day. In an hour you will be King."

"And my father never wanted this", Aegon added in, the first thing he has said since he was out into the carriage.

"That's not true", Alicent shook her head in denial at his words.

"He had the time and years to name me heir. Instead vastly he held Rhaenyras claim", Aegon looked out the little windows of the carriage.

"He changed his mind", Alicent told him, she herself was confused at Viserys muttering just before he passed but if it was his last wish she could at least do that.

"Wow!", Aegon raised his brows as a joke as he laughed to himself at what his mother just claimed. "He could have! But he never did. Because he didn't like me."

"And yet, with his final breath he whispered to me that you should take his place on the throne", Alicent looked into her sons eyes, she hated the fact they knew Viserys didn't treat them right growing up but hoping that telling him what Viserys mumbled that it could sooth Aegon.

Viserra tried not to look at anyone, it didn't quite feel real and she wasn't sure if she wanted it to be.

There was a part of her, quite a large part, who wished Aemond had just let him go so that he and Naella could rule side by side, they'd surely be better at it, the cold and ruthless prince with the realms gentle soul.

They could've been a Jaehaerys and Alysanne reborn.

Aegon only just laughed again turned away from his mother again, with a serious expression on her face Alicent opened the box she had brought with her.

Revealing Viserys Valyrian steel dagger to Aegon and Viserra as they stared in shock as she then looked toward Aegon.

"Do not toy with me mother", he kept his hand down from touching the dagger.

"I speak the truth", she breathed to him.

Aegon then placed his hand on the handle of the dagger, picking it up as he examined it in the light from the windows.

"Listen to me Aegon", Alicent tried turning his focus from the dagger to her again. "Your grandfather, The Hand. Will try to impress on you that Rhaenyra should be put to the sword. You must reject this council", she grabbed his hand then to make him look to her. "You must not rule with cruelty and callousness. For all her faults she is your sister...your...your fathers other daughter-"

"Do you love me?", Aegon cut this mother off as he finally looked toward her.

He had been stand offish since the time his mother told him he was not her son because of his actions and the pain and suffering he had placed on her, the only parent to show him love and be by his side time and time again.