20-The Jack of Hearts, part 1

As we walked up the stairs and through a hallway we heard voices, but as we passed the room, we realized it was actually something else...We immediately changed course, both blushing. 

Luckily, there was no one there, except the couple in that room who was far too busy to notice us.

We found ourselves in the guardroom, a large, circular space identical to the one downstairs where we had found the collars.

There were already quite a few people, some in small groups, some alone. Chishiya and I leaned against the wall, not close, but in front of each other. We exchanged glances, then began studying our opponents. A little later, a boy in a striped t-shirt stood between us, he looked like a good and kind person and I really hoped that he would be able to save himself.

No emotion, be insensitive or the plan will go up in smoke.

The one that attracted my attention the most, was a girl in a blue dress with a wide collar and a large white bow: she looked like she came out of some fairy tale. I don't know why, but my instincts told me to keep an eye on her.

There were still a few Players missing, and it was about twenty minutes before the last one arrived, a tall, thin guy, in a denim shirt and looking intimidating.

Then, the metallic voice spoke and the screen lit up.

Difficulty: Jack of Hearts

Game: Solitary Confinement

Rules: "Guess the card suit that appears on the back of your collar. However, you may not look at the symbol yourself. The time limit is one hour per round. In the final 5 minutes, enter your cell and disclose your symbol."

At that moment the hallway's lights switched on.

Then the voice continued: "If you do not answer with the correct symbol, it is Game Over. The collar will explode, and you will die."

Chishiya and I looked at each other again; it was like being back in the 7 of Hearts.

The voice added, "Additionally, when the time limit reaches zero, the symbol on the collar will reset and change for each round."

The boy in the striped t-shirt looked relieved. "Wait a sec. So that means we just have to ask each other what our symbols are." He smiled and turned to Chishiya. "That's easy, huh?"

"I'm not so sure." He replied. "They haven't told us what the conditions to win are yet."

The metallic voice spoke again: "The Solitary Confinement Game is about how much you can trust your fellow Players. Be aware that your opponent, the Jack of Hearts, has already been placed among you."

"Oh, that's good." Chishiya said, at the same time I said "I knew it."

"So one of us is the Jack of Hearts?" A boy said.

The voice went on: "How to win: rounds repeat every hour. You win when the Jack of Hearts dies. Prohibited Actions: looking at your symbol with a reflective surface is cheating. Players may not use weapons or violence to kill fellow Players."

"This means that the only way this Game will ever end is if the Jack gives the wrong answer." Chishiya said. "So, basically, no one here is getting out alive, unless they lie to the Jack."

He turned to look at the boy in the striped t-shirt and at me.

That calm he always had when he attended the Games was back, and this time, I had to try to use it too.

The metallic voice spoke yet again: "There is no limit to the numer of rounds."

"There's no limit?" Asked a man with glassed, to my right.