26-The Queen of Clubs

That Arena was the strangest I've ever seen: it was located inside a wastewater treatment plant.

"What the hell of a place for a Game is this?" Kuina took the words out of my mouth.

"I was wondering the same thing." I answered her.

She and I had been the last to enter, so we grabbed the last two cell phones and stood against a wall, waiting for instructions.

Meanwhile, I took off my backpack and left it on the ground.

We began to look around; there weren't many Players...I counted 21, including the two of us. Then, our eyes lingered on a girl in black shorts and a white blouse: Ann was standing alone in a corner.

We went towards her, incredulous. As soon as she saw us, she too came in our direction.

"Did you think I was dead?" She asked Kuina.

"No." Kuina smiled at her. "I knew that I would see you again. You're too strong to die."

"Strong, huh?" Ann grimaced. "You know, Kuina, I started wondering if waiting for death might be easier."

"Yeah, I had similar thoughts." Kuina said.

I think at some point, every Player had thought that.

"But at least we're here now." Kuina added.

Ann nodded. "Jen, right?" She, then, asked me.

"Yes." I answered her. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Chishiya?" She asked me. "Didn't you two run away together?"

"We don't know where he is, but he's fine for sure." Kuina answered for me, while I felt a hole in my stomach.

"He's a very smart boy, I have to admit that." Then, Ann looked around and luckily, she changed the subject. "Clubs are team games."

If I thought about Chishiya again, I'd have felt desperate and hopeless again. And I just couldn't. I had to be strong for him too, I reminded myself, and the lion roared softly, as if to remind me that it was ready to came out if needed.

I regained my determination and my muscles quivered, waiting to spring into action.

"It should be much easier with the three of us playing." Kuina looked at me and then at Ann.

"Just a few more Games. We'll make it to the end." Ann said.

"Huh. Mmm. I'm sure we will." Kuina said.

"Absolutely." I added, smiling at both of them.

Then Kuina made a fist with her hand and put it in the center; Ann and I placed our right hands on top of it. It was a silent alliance, which would give us the strength to win the Game.

The metallic voice spoke.

Difficulty: Queen of Clubs

Game: Target

Rules: Players must split into groups of three. Each group will occupy a concrete beam. You will have to throw the glowing balls and hit your opponents, including the Queen of Clubs and her two allies. Clear condition: knock all members of the Queen's team off the beam. To anyone else who falls off the beam will be Game Over.

Time limit: Absent.

"And even here there's no time limit! Brilliant!" I huffed.

"This is the first time it's happened to me." Kuina and Ann said in chorus.